What Would You Do?

andy22

Hey guys...I've posted a few times asking for advice and just when I thought I was in no need for any more advice life tosses me a curveball..

I have been on finasteride for about 5 months and am now considering my options...

One of the only side effects I had almost immediately was some pain in my balls but I thought it was a small price to pay to *hopefully* keep my hair. But now, the aches are still there (on and off, but lately more on), and I've come to realize that other sides *seem* to be showing themselves (no sponatenous boners, very slight difficulty in getting a boner).

I really could live with the sides if they remained like this (although aching balls gets really annoying really quickly), but I'm more afraid of the sides possibly getting worse.

I do think that finasteride has been helping in this short time period (really only have a slight receding hairline and what seems to be an ever-so-slightly thinning crown (you really can't tell at all, and I'm not 100% sure that is, in fact, thinning (looks as though in certain lighting)).

So, what would your advice be? I am considering lowering the dosage to .5/day, then .5EOD if the sides still seem apparent after a month or so. Also, other than the aches, there is a possibility that some of this could be psychological...but certainly is physiological to a degree as well.

So, would you recommend decreasing my dosage before giving up or cutting it cold turkey? I know its ultimately how much I value my hair vs the possibility of side effects, but any opinions would be welcomed. Also know that any advice given would not ultimately sway my decision one way or another, so feel free to offer any opinions.

Thanks for any advice shared...it will be much appreciated.

Hey guys...I've posted a few times asking for advice and just when I thought I was in no need for any more advice life tosses me a curveball..

I have been on finasteride for about 5 months and am now considering my options...

One of the only side effects I had almost immediately was some pain in my balls but I thought it was a small price to pay to *hopefully* keep my hair. But now, the aches are still there (on and off, but lately more on), and I've come to realize that other sides *seem* to be showing themselves (no sponatenous boners, very slight difficulty in getting a boner).

I really could live with the sides if they remained like this (although aching balls gets really annoying really quickly), but I'm more afraid of the sides possibly getting worse.

I do think that finasteride has been helping in this short time period (really only have a slight receding hairline and what seems to be an ever-so-slightly thinning crown (you really can't tell at all, and I'm not 100% sure that is, in fact, thinning (looks as though in certain lighting)).

So, what would your advice be? I am considering lowering the dosage to .5/day, then .5EOD if the sides still seem apparent after a month or so. Also, other than the aches, there is a possibility that some of this could be psychological...but certainly is physiological to a degree as well.

So, would you recommend decreasing my dosage before giving up or cutting it cold turkey? I know its ultimately how much I value my hair vs the possibility of side effects, but any opinions would be welcomed. Also know that any advice given would not ultimately sway my decision one way or another, so feel free to offer any opinions.

Thanks for any advice shared...it will be much appreciated.

andy,

I think lowering your dosage might be a good place to start, however, it is best to consult with your doctor.

Sexual side effects are a possible side effect. Regarding the pain you've experienced...are you still experiencing it? Or was that just upon initiating the medication?

From a personal point of view...if I was experiencing sexual side effects from the medication, I'd either lower the dosage with the recommendation of a doctor or stop the medication altogether if the side effects didn't go away.

Bill

• Moderators

What I would do:

Stop taking it for 3 or 4 days to get it out of your system, so you can sort of start fresh. Then start taking a lower dose, either .5 every day or 1 every other day. I personally would go with every other day.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.