Hairline design issues in younger patients

I do not believe that age alone should be a determining factor in deciding whether or not to perform hair restoration on someone. If you have a young patient who already has significant hair loss, then doing conservative work in the frontal area is not unreasonable. What is important is that the patient fully understands that further hair loss will likely occur. And if they do proceed to stage 7 or greater that they may only have enough donor to restore the front third to front half. However, I usually try to convince my younger patients to keep a high hairline and tell them that if their hairloss stops they can always lower the hairline at a later date. Remember these are some of the most important years in a young persons life. So waiting until they get older before we try to help them in not necessarily the best approach.

• 6 years later...

Hi

Just purchased Dr. Redmond's Book "Its Your Hormones". I have high testosterone and extreme hair loss.

I was woundering if you could email me leting me know about your progress. I to am on Spironlactone 200 and Yaz birth control.

Also I am depressed due to my hair loss. I have been afraid to to take antidepressant for fear that my hair loss will get worst. Please tell me what antidepressant did Dr. Redmond put you on? Did it cause additional hair loss for you or not? I need something to help me cope while tring to regain my hair.

All the postings I see are negative, which is very disencouraging. Please help if your still out there.

Tammera

• 9 months later...

I get worried sometimes thinking about 'what if my hair continues to recede even after the transplant I have had?' But I am happy now. Perhaps later it will backfire. I am 25.

I had the same recession from 16 years old up until I had my transplant this past year. So I tried to hold off as long as possible. Looking at my father, he just had high temples, so I felt it was a safe decision.

My old GF was a diffuse thinner.She was only 29 and her hair was very sparse. She said it happened after she had her baby. I believe it was genetic though in her family. She and I used to joke about our hair all the time, we found that comforting I suppose...