Which is best?? Propecia / Rogaine / Minoxidil

macd

Hi, this is my first time on this forum. Just found this site by chance. Can anyone recommend a treatment which the majority of you out there can agree will work (i know treatments vary from person to person). I am going thin on my crown and also receeding hairline.

I have read stories about finestride affecting sex lives and that would be a risk i am not prepared to take. So which are the best topical treatments and shampoos / programs to use.

I would appreciate all advice given my way...

macd

You have pretty much sumed it up yourself in the thread title.

If you are not prepared to do Propecia, then you must hit the Rogaine. Brand name Rogaine verse generic Minox, I am not sure about - I am sure someone here will provide you the scoop.

I think you should stick to what most rely on - Rogaine, and wash 3 times a week with Nizoral or Revita.

Perhaps try some nettle or other herb / green stuff, because its cheap and may promote something in you that doesnt work in others.

Stick to the known stuff first, and throw in others if you can be bothered.

Remember to document your progress - its same like weight loss, or gym work. A lot of the time you might lose weight, but you cant see it (or gain it and not notice). Its only when someone hasnt seen you for ages, that they will say 'gee you lost HEAPS of weight', and you didnt se that.

Same with the hair - make sure you document your progress through photos so you can be certain, and get a real kick from seeing thicker hair 6 months from startin your routine (fingers crossed it works).

Good luck !

OH and remember that receding hairlines / temples dont react as well as the crown, to both Propecia and Rogaine.

These drugs work the crown much more effectively.

I havent heard of a sure fire method tha works on the front of your head, perhaps someone else has some good info ...?

Good luck once again

Both generic and brand name have the same active ingredient.

Minoxidil (generic)is equivalent to Rogaine(brand)so u can take either one. Generic is lot cheaper.

Here is my understandig--If minoxidil is not equivalent to the brand name then FDA would have never approved it.

According to FDA- The generic manufacturer must have to show that the generic drug is "bioequivalent" to the brand-name drug, while brand name manufacturer have actually done the "bioequivalent" studies (clinical trials- very expensive studies).

There are so many other FDA requirements such as labeling,strength,stability,gamp,formulation.

#1 HT by Dr. Rahal on 08-21-08

Strip 26.6 cm

Total 4308 grafts

-1116 single grafts

-2287 double grafts

-898 triple grafts

-7 quad grafts

Total Hairs: 8412

Medications:

Minoxidil 5%

Finasteride 1 mg daily

Hello All,

I have been in this forum couple of times before to understand different products available in market to fight back hair loss. Undoubtedly Rogaine/ Minoxidil and Propecia are on top list. But my questions here, Once started using Rogaine or Propecia, should we be on treatment for life long. What would be the consequences if we stop using the medication?

SunMyPassion,

Welcome to our forum. Ultimately, stopping finasteride and minoxidil will result in a loss of benefit. Any hair regrowth from the medication will fall out, and any hair maintained by the drugs will continue to progress again as far as genetics have dictated it to.

Unfortunately, to continue receiving the benefit of Propecia and Rogaine, you have to continue using it.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by HT55:
Originally posted by macd:

Hi, this is my first time on this forum. Just found this site by chance. Can anyone recommend a treatment which the majority of you out there can agree will work (i know treatments vary from person to person). I am going thin on my crown and also receeding hairline.

I have read stories about finestride affecting sex lives and that would be a risk i am not prepared to take. So which are the best topical treatments and shampoos / programs to use.

I would appreciate all advice given my way...

It's kind of sad you are going to let a few peopl scare you away from Finasteride. If you have problems you can always lowere the dose or quit. It seems rogaine foam combined with Propecia works very well

HT55 - you're the guy in Jenna's pictures, right?

Two things scare me from Propecia:

1. If I ever have to stop (say money problems), will my hairloss get worse than the day I first started?

2. Cancer risks.