Shapiro consult

Yesterday I had my consult w/ Dr. Shapiro and that makes my 3rd consult since March with 3 very capable and well respected HT surgeons.

I was very impressed with Dr. Shapiro and his clinic. I found the surgical rooms to be immaculate and the tech equipment state of the art.

I was able to witness a procedure. I looked through the microscope to see follicular uniits being prepared and watched as one assistant inserted some grafts into the patient's recipient area.I was impressed by her skill.

Dr. Shapiro is certainly an all together guy. Very intelligent yet approachable and very generous in taking the time to explain various aspects of the procedure.

There are 2 concerns that have me uncommitted at this point about which of 2 surgions to do to. I know that both can create the best hairlines given the current constraints of the procedure.I think that Dr. Shapiro might have the edge in leaving the least perceptible donor scar though I did not actually see a patient of his at the consult that would be evidence of that.

I think that the other surgeon I am considering might have the edge with implanting greater density ( although through my discussions with Dr. Shapiro, density measured by number of grafts is not all that it seems)

Dr. Shapiro thought I might need 200 grafts over 50-60+ sq cm. That is a larger area than I expected to cover.I also do not want to cut my existing hair, so the surface area that he envisions and that I envision are a bit at odds. ( I would appreciate opinions on this,...being conservative on a first procedure with the amount of area covered, especially with considerable existing hair, vrs a more aggressive coverage area. )

Cost is also an issue. I did not get a firm quote for the procedure with Dr. Shapiro but I suspect he is more expensive than the other surgeon I am considering.I would appreciate any advice on this issue as well as well as any other thoughts.

I wish Dr. Lobbys offered more privacy/ Better arrangement of furniture and a well-placed plant might be all that is necessary.

Yesterday I had my consult w/ Dr. Shapiro and that makes my 3rd consult since March with 3 very capable and well respected HT surgeons.

I was very impressed with Dr. Shapiro and his clinic. I found the surgical rooms to be immaculate and the tech equipment state of the art.

I was able to witness a procedure. I looked through the microscope to see follicular uniits being prepared and watched as one assistant inserted some grafts into the patient's recipient area.I was impressed by her skill.

Dr. Shapiro is certainly an all together guy. Very intelligent yet approachable and very generous in taking the time to explain various aspects of the procedure.

There are 2 concerns that have me uncommitted at this point about which of 2 surgions to do to. I know that both can create the best hairlines given the current constraints of the procedure.I think that Dr. Shapiro might have the edge in leaving the least perceptible donor scar though I did not actually see a patient of his at the consult that would be evidence of that.

I think that the other surgeon I am considering might have the edge with implanting greater density ( although through my discussions with Dr. Shapiro, density measured by number of grafts is not all that it seems)

Dr. Shapiro thought I might need 200 grafts over 50-60+ sq cm. That is a larger area than I expected to cover.I also do not want to cut my existing hair, so the surface area that he envisions and that I envision are a bit at odds. ( I would appreciate opinions on this,...being conservative on a first procedure with the amount of area covered, especially with considerable existing hair, vrs a more aggressive coverage area. )

Cost is also an issue. I did not get a firm quote for the procedure with Dr. Shapiro but I suspect he is more expensive than the other surgeon I am considering.I would appreciate any advice on this issue as well as well as any other thoughts.

I wish Dr. Lobbys offered more privacy/ Better arrangement of furniture and a well-placed plant might be all that is necessary.

What do you mean that you don't want to cut your existing hair?

I don't know anything about Dr. Lobby, but Dr. Shapiro does have a proven track record, not just with donor scars but more importantly with the hairlines. I had my procedure done at his clinic with Dr Charles, and I am happy with the results. With his experience, I would take his advice very seriously (aggressive vs conservative).

Originally posted by tkotko:

I don't know anything about Dr. Lobby...

Tkotko,

I can see how you got this mixed up, but I think thinkingaboutit meant something to the extent of, "I wish doctors' lobby areas offered more privacy.."

Thinking, correct me if I'm wrong...?

In reply to your post, I am glad I met you in person and I'm ecstatic that the two physicians that you are considering are the ones they are.

Your level of careful research, extensive and tireless travelling, and level of dedication to finding the absolute perfect physician for you is admirable, to say the least. Whatever your decision, I hope that you document your case for all other forum members to see.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thinkingaboutit,

I second Robert's comments. You are doing the research that will give you the results you are looking for. I, like you, did not want to cut my existing hair off for surgery and the Doctor I used did not even suggest that I had to. He actually said he did not care either way. What ever you decide, you can not go wrong with either of the 2 Doctors you are considering. They are the same 2 I consulted with and was considering for my H T and they are both top notch with outstanding results. Little small considerations and differences between the 2 are what helped me make my decision as Im sure it will with you.

Good luck and keep us posted as you go.

Nashville Kat

I had a 2200 grafts HT with Dr. Shapiro Mar 1, 2005. I didn't want my hair cut either but the doc recommended it for a better final outcome. I gotta tell ya; I looked like crap for about 2 months. I took 7 weeks off from work and looked somewhat passable when I went back to work. But prior to that it was hat city. On the plus side, however, I had a lot of hair growth already at month 3. I'm now 4.5 months out and things are steadily improving. The doc knows his craft and you should seriously consider his advice. Good luck!

Of the 2 docs you mentioned, not disrespect but you can not go wrong with Shapiro. If he recommended 2K grafts then he is being honest and not trying to get you to do 1K then come back in a year for another 1K and more money??? If cost is an issue, then ask if they can negotiate, most docs usually give a price break of grafts over 1500-- let's say standard price is 4.50 a graft, with 2,000 your getting ask Dr. Shapiro if you can get it for $3.50-$3.75 a graft-- and if you took a cancel vacancy he might be more willing to give you a price break because your filling a void in a schedule.

As far as shaving the head, Dr. Shapiro does not insist on this-- he recommends it, but if you have major concerns like a job, ect. he will work around it-- he might ask if you can cut it down to around 2 inches or so.

Who can take 7 weeks off from work! not me. Dr. Cooley did not cut my hair at all and I went back to work in 3 days and no one noticed that I didn't tell. The new hair grew in nicely and blended right in with the existing hair as it grew. This is a decision you will have to make on your own.

Shapiro did 2236 (+/- a few) for me back in May of 2003. He didn't have me cut the hair, and the going rate for him back then was 4.50 per. His website recently advertised a lower rate for larger f/u procedures.

I'm very happy with what he did. Within days, there was nothing to see in the procedure site, and the donor site was nicely covered by my own hair. My return growth looked good at 6 months, including return of some hair lost from procedure shock. I scheduled my procedure a month before my son's high school graduation, and not a soul in the family noticed. Then I spent a month traveling, and so I was really out of circulation for about two months.

At six months, my son commented as we rode up an elevator, "boy, dad I think that Rogaine stuff you're using on your hair is doing something...I never told a single family member or friend that I had the procedure done.... None to this day.

Matt, Jenna, and the doc, all were very personable, professional, and competant. I will use them again to fill in the crown in another year or two (3,000), and then probably do another 2,000 to the front and temple region again, to build some density. But I have always had fine, thin, blow-away hair, and Ron gave me back the look of about 12-14 years ago. Something that I'm very comfortable with.

If price is a huge issue, then check out Dr. Tychowski, in Brasil. Pat, the moderator, checked him out and his work is state of the art as done in the US, and Tychowski, in my correspondance with him, claims to be able to do the same work for half the price as in the US... And hey, you can get a nice trip to Sao Paulo included for under $1,000. If you haven't been there its a beautiful place to go. Huge city with a lot of history.

Ron Shapiro really is an artist, and for this kind of procedure, you are buying artistic skills, and not just a medical procedure. Hence, I say, look over those before and after pics carefully and make your choice.

One thing I'm certain of, with Shapiro Medical group, you won't go wrong.