Going in for #2 (five years later)

HairHope

Only this time, I'm trying FUE (1000).

Any tips on recovery, etc. I have been off the boards since 2004.

Also, been advised to stop rogaine a week ahead (I use the foam), anyone know why?

Finally, I have 5 days off and hoping not to have recipient shaved. Can I pull it off.

Thank you.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

HairHope,

It looks like you joined this community only a few months after I did in 2004. Welcome back :-).

Because minoxidil is a vasodilator and may increase blood supply to the skin, some clniics advise stopping it for a week or more prior to surgery. Some surgeons feel that using minoxidil up to the day of surgery may increase risks of heavier bleeding and make surgery more difficult.

Whether or not the recipient area needs to be shaved is up for you and your surgeon to discuss. If shaving is not required, depending on the amount of native hair you have in between the transplants, you may be able to pull off concealing it. However, scabs may remain at this early stage.

Best of luck to you in your upcoming surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

Dear Bill,

Thanks so much - yes we both knew each other as rookies! I remember your first HT, I basically got mine done and never looked back since each person has their own experience.

I appreciate your feedback on the rogaine and made sure he knows I have to be at work so I am not shaving.

Any experience on the pain involved in FUE versus our previous strip? I'm a bit nervous, but am positive about doing it again.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

HairHope,

It looks like you joined this community only a few months after I did in 2004. Welcome back :-).

Because minoxidil is a vasodilator and may increase blood supply to the skin, some clniics advise stopping it for a week or more prior to surgery. Some surgeons feel that using minoxidil up to the day of surgery may increase risks of heavier bleeding and make surgery more difficult.

Whether or not the recipient area needs to be shaved is up for you and your surgeon to discuss. If shaving is not required, depending on the amount of native hair you have in between the transplants, you may be able to pull off concealing it. However, scabs may remain at this early stage.

Best of luck to you in your upcoming surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Any experience on the pain involved in FUE versus our previous strip?

Only pain you will experience is when they administer the local anesthesia, extracting the follicles and implanting them is painless...unless the local wears off.

Who's your physician? Good luck.