Switched to Proscar. Should I switch back?

txgrower

I started taking propecia 7 months ago and took it for 3 months where after the shedding stopped saw a great amount of growth and zero shedding. 3 months ago I switched to proscar taking 1.25mg a day and since have not experienced the same results and now am shedding excessively again. I took notice of the hair that was falling out and the hair shaft was thicker at the end that didnt contain the root. My thought is that for some reason whatever im doing the drug isnt being delivered properly like the propecia was because im ingesting the pill with the medication exposed. My thought is that the hair shaft is getting smaller as it grew because of the return of DHT to the binding sites of the hair basically choking the hair follicle. I also noticed the unpleasant side effects i was having with propecia are gone(i can live with them as long as my hair doesnt fall out). So I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else when they switched from propecia to proscar? Note: Both drugs were purchased from pharmacies in the US and manufactured by Merck.

I started taking propecia 7 months ago and took it for 3 months where after the shedding stopped saw a great amount of growth and zero shedding. 3 months ago I switched to proscar taking 1.25mg a day and since have not experienced the same results and now am shedding excessively again. I took notice of the hair that was falling out and the hair shaft was thicker at the end that didnt contain the root. My thought is that for some reason whatever im doing the drug isnt being delivered properly like the propecia was because im ingesting the pill with the medication exposed. My thought is that the hair shaft is getting smaller as it grew because of the return of DHT to the binding sites of the hair basically choking the hair follicle. I also noticed the unpleasant side effects i was having with propecia are gone(i can live with them as long as my hair doesnt fall out). So I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else when they switched from propecia to proscar? Note: Both drugs were purchased from pharmacies in the US and manufactured by Merck.

txgrower,

Are you sure you are getting legitimate Proscar?

Proscar contains the same active ingredient, and there should be no new shedding period nor should hair being saved by finasteride start falling out while on Proscar.

That said, if you are convinced you are getting legitimate Proscar and you don't feel it's working while Propecia was, perhaps you should switch back to what is working for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

Propecia and Proscar is the EXACT same medicine made by the same company at the same plants-- Same drug-- Propecia 1mg tab and Proscar is 5mg-- so buy cutting it to 1.25-- it should not be any difference. The only SMALL effect is the "coat core" for metabolism-- becaue you have to cut the 5mg Proscare-you alter part of the pill core which is part of the way the seal the pill for metobolism and drug release. This isnt tha big of a deal, but might be in your case. If you feel that strong, then switch back to see if problem stops, if not, then it wasnt the Proscar.

SMOOTHY

Dr.Shapiro

Propeica/Rogaine xtra

MSM/Zinc/Saw Palmetto

Nioxin Shampoo line

Zrii 3 oz daily

Thanks for the advice. I don't know why it hasnt worked but I'm not willing to keep trying it when its obviously not working for me. I was also thinking it might also be a result of a side effect I had from another drug I took for about a week and a half which was causing liver damage back in July. If I look at the hair that fell out the hair starts to shrink in diameter at about inch and a half which would equate to about the time the liver episode happened. I had a similar thing happen when I had jaw surgery a few years back. Hopefully I turn the corner soon and start growing it back.