Do-it-yourself Staple Removal

domie

Hello everyone,

Tomorrow is another milestone in the hair restoration adventure... removal of staples! I'm very happy to get these out and move onward with the process, but also a little apprehensive over getting these yanked out by a clumsy brother!?

Since i will be doing this without the assistance of a DR, I was hoping some of you veterans could share some helpful tips for all of us newbs. icon_smile.gif

Hello everyone,

Tomorrow is another milestone in the hair restoration adventure... removal of staples! I'm very happy to get these out and move onward with the process, but also a little apprehensive over getting these yanked out by a clumsy brother!?

Since i will be doing this without the assistance of a DR, I was hoping some of you veterans could share some helpful tips for all of us newbs. icon_smile.gif

Funny you say that! I had to remove my own staples (23 of them) from a wound when I was down in South America. It would have been a 6 hr drive through hell just to get to a nurse. Seriously Domie, you can do it yourself if you are patient and careful. It may hurt a bit, but just sweat it out and make your bro go slowly. I used a pair of needle nose pliers cleaned with alcohol.

Domie, I bought a bottle of Bactine and put the solution on the staples prior to removal. Bactine containes lidocaine (an anasthetic) which should slightly numb the area as well as preventing infection. My wife removed 64 staples in about 10 minutes. It went rather smoothly with only slight discomfort.

Originally posted by dandare75:

My wife removed 64 staples in about 10 minutes. It went rather smoothly with only slight discomfort.

LUCKY YOU!!!! Before my wife removed my staples (83 of them), I did all the suggested things, put some anaesthetic cream 45mn before starting the process, had a stiff gin but believe me some of these staples did not want to give up without a fight and about 10 of them caused some serious pain. Though my wife was very gentle I had to work hard not to scream & wake up the kids. The whole removal process took over 30 minutes. By far the most unpleasant part of the whole surgery. I've become a strong believer in sutures!!

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

so from what a gather, the staple removal process can go as smooth as ice or be an agonizing form of torture, nice. haha! i'll be sure to let you know how it goes. i've read taking a warm shower prior to removal helped relax the tissue so i'll give that a go (along with the betacaine supplied by H&W).

by the way, i forgot to mention its an OLDER brother that would be removing the staples... for those of you with older brothers that loved to torture the younger siblings, im sure you feel my pain. and to top it off hes pretty bald and loved to point out the fact i was losing my hair, so im sure he's gonna make me pay! should be a hoot... hmm? maybe i should ask a friend? icon_wink.gif

Hi Domie,

Lots of luck with the staples. Looks like everyone has a little different experience with them. For me, my wife pulled all 77 or so of them and it was a breeze. I was so ready to get them out I didn't put anything on them before hand..........simply handed her the simple instructions and said "have your fun"! icon_wink.gif I had one very mild bleeder, a couple that had little hair pulls with them, but the majority I didn't even feel.

Let us know how it goes.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

all staples removed with no major incident! infact it was mostly a breeze, 1 bleeder and a few small "stingers" other than that it was a contant string of me saying, "you just pulled one out?"

so yes kids DO try this trick at home if you have good help!

the entire time my friend (yeah i chickened out with the brother playing dr) could not stop commenting how small the scar was. thank you dr wong! by touch, i can only tell where the incision was because my skin is still a little sensative in that area. other than that its gone by touch.

i didnt have too rough a time with the staples (besides sleep) but it sure is nice to have them out. icon_smile.gif