Lateral slit

• Administrators

Lonez,

There has been considerable discussion and debate among physicians as to the importance of using either sagitally or laterally orientated incisions in the recipient area. This was one of the hot topics at last years annual hair restoration surgeons meeting in Vancouver Canada.

I have also had a strong interest in accessing the relative importance of lateral versus sagital incisions. I have watched the all lateral incisions surgery performed by a number of leading experts and came away very impressed. We also have all seen our share of patient results on this and other forums.

What I find to be the most impressive recent evolution in hair restoration surgery is not the actual lateral or sagital orientation of the graft but the use of very tiny incisions (sometimes as small as .6 mm) and very tiny grafts that enable surgeons to dense pack grafts with minimal trauma to the recipient area.

The new ultra refined techniques enable patients to achieve rapid healing and good cosmetic density in a given area after one surgery.

Just today I watched Dr. Jeffery Eptein perform an outstanding 3,380 follicular unit graft dense packed procedure in patient's frontal half using ultra tiny cut to size blades as small as .6 mms.

To create the very refined grafts needed to fit in these tiny incisions Dr. Jeff Epstein had a staff of 8 surgical techs disecting grafts on 8 microscopes.

All the incisions were made sagitally rather than laterally. In my opinion this patient got an outstanding, refined and state of the art surgery. Dr. Epstein felt that he was able to control the angle and direction of each and every hair just as much as if he'd been using lateral incisions.

I have also seen dense packed ultra refined sessions in which many if not all grafts were placed laterally. These surgeons also achieved an excellent and refined result for their patient.

Studies have also been done on the relative advantages or disadvantages of lateral versus sagital and most physicians have found the differences to be inconclusive or marginal.

I think the primary benefits of what some have come to call the "lateral slit" procedure are the minimally invasive incisions that enable dense packing and rapid healing. These benefits can be achieved with both lateral and sagitally oriented incisions.

To learn more about these recent advances please click here..

Note - Dr. Shapiro, Dr. Bernstein, and Dr. True all do ultra refined follicular unit grafting using both lateral and sagital incisions depending on the particular area of the scalp.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

my doctor, Alexander, used lateral slit and also used very small, .7 mm to .9mm depending on the graft size. It was my third HT and I healed faster in my recipient area than any of my other two. He densed packed 2500 gratfs near the front, so am hoping for some good results with his technique as well