3 Months Out?

Janna and Bill have been mentioning new hair growth at 3 months out. Given their knowledge and experience, this makes sense.

I have had some stubble growing from day 60 onward. Given that "true " new hair does not start for 3 months, is is reasonable to think that this may be some of my severe shock loss coming back?

Janna and Bill have been mentioning new hair growth at 3 months out. Given their knowledge and experience, this makes sense.

I have had some stubble growing from day 60 onward. Given that "true " new hair does not start for 3 months, is is reasonable to think that this may be some of my severe shock loss coming back?

Bayer,

3-4 months is the average start time for new growth...however it is possible that you may be experiencing some early new growth at 2 months. But it definitely could be some of the shockloss hairs growing back as well. Try to remember...everyone is different and therefore growth rates are different. In fact, the first two surgeries I've had, I started growing some hair around the 8-10 week mark...not sure if it was shockloss hair returning or new growth...but the real fun for me started between 3-5 months. BUT a hair transplant is not considered mature until about 12 months.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Hi Bayer,

I agree with Bill, you can definitely experience new growth at 2 months...........I believe I actually had a very few early sprouters just after the 6 week mark. With HT's there are averages but growth is one of those things that varies quite a bit from person to person.

I'm pretty sure you can tell the difference between shocked hair returning and new growth by the hair texture. New hair growth should be thin and wispy, then thicken over time. Returning shocked hair will come in like beard stubble.....coarse and thick.

I hope a Doc or Tech will chime in with their personal thoughts on this because I have wondered about it. This is just my own personal assessment. I started having fine new hair growth early on as stated but then at the 2 month and 1 week mark started getting coarse hair coming that had been shocked out.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hairbank,

Seems like you and I are neck and neck on the same threads icon_smile.gif. Always a pleasure brother.

New hairs grow in different ways. I know this from experience and research.

Some will start out thin and wispy as you say, yet others will grow in pretty thick in appearance and you will see those hairs actually coming through the scalp. And then very few of the transplanted hairs will continue to grow without ever going through the 3-5 month resting phase.

Bill

hey there guys, i will be at the 2 month on april 12 and i can say that i do have some growth some are very tiny starting to come out and some not many are about half inch already and i can say for a fact that it is the planted hair, due to the fact that i did NOT have any in those areas for many yrs,, so im am kind of excited but there are growing VERY VERY SLOW, icon_frown.gif

The few grafts that did not shed were growing for me by month 2, so I can believe rafael there. But that's 1 hair growing every 1/2 inch, nothing to write home about.

The new stuff won't start growing until later - but it will start growing icon_smile.gif

Hi

I Think we must look at the final result date and then work out way in.. Reagardles of early/late growth it's safe to say you will get the ideal results at about 12-14 months. Judging earlier is ok but take it for what it's worth.. An incomplete product

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I'm 7 weeks out today (break out the cake!) and have lost most, but not all of my grafts. It seemed like I lost more than half after about 4 weeks, then it slowed down.

I thought I saw growth until I realized I had a few hairs I used to shave down (since I had no other native hair around them) and now they are growing back. As stated in other posts, these are definitely the thicker, more coarse types.

I'm actually hoping the rest fall out soon since it seems the sooner they fall out, the sooner they will start to grow.

I know the next couple of months are the hardest since nothing will be happening. The toughest part is figuring out how to wear my hair. I currently have it parted and grew it long and blow dry it to basically cover the full recepient area. However, as it's gotten longer, it looks like a dead raccoon on my head if it doesn't lay right.

So, I'm not letting it dry naturally, which curls the hair and makes it shorter. I'm self- conscious about the front sticking out (with it's few scattered hairs and slight pinkish color) but not sure what else to do. Anyone face the same predicament?

Also, just noticed some shockloss on my donor area on both sides above and behind the ears. It could have been there for a few weeks, since I haven't really looked to closely at that area.

Hi Jersey23,

I believe that I understand your predicament - sounds a bit like where I am right know.

First thing I would suggest is getting your hair trimmed a bit. If existing hair is to be of use, it has to be at a manageable length. Too long makes it look like you are trying to cover something.

As far as the front, use make up (I use CoverFx) to match the color of your face. If you do have a few hairs, you might want to try Toppik to bulk up the few hairs.

I have plenty of shockloss in the donor area and am keeping the hair long enough to cover it. This may take a full hair growth cycle (3 to 4 months) to start getting stubble.

Hang in there, as I am sure that it will be worth it in the long run.

Hi

Yeah, I am at 3 weeks plus post op.. Still have my grafts .. Also keep in mind sometimes when they grow in they hair tends to look a bit Coarse or different than the surrounding native hair.. This will change, don't panic.. It can be bothersome because it may look a bit odd..

Don't worry though

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!