Post HT questions

Hi, I recently had an opperation done and I'm curious about a couple questions I still have...

1.)Is it safe to use Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo 4 weeks post HT? I ask because I recently started to use Rogaine foam and I'm trying to prevent side effects.

2.)Should a conditioner be used after shampooing with T-Gel? Does it have to be a certain kind?

3.)Is it safe to use tanning beds after an HT? If there is a time limit, generally how long?

4.)Rogaine foam seems to make my hair appear less shiny, and colorful... is there a way to prevent this?

5.)Are frequent headaches a sign that I'm using too much of the foam?

6.)The back of my head still has a loss of feeling, is this normal? If so, when can I expect full feeling to return?

Hmmm, I had a few more questions I was thinking of earlier, but I'm out of time to remember them! icon_frown.gif

Thanks ahead of time for any help!! icon_smile.gif

Hi, I recently had an opperation done and I'm curious about a couple questions I still have...

1.)Is it safe to use Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo 4 weeks post HT? I ask because I recently started to use Rogaine foam and I'm trying to prevent side effects.

2.)Should a conditioner be used after shampooing with T-Gel? Does it have to be a certain kind?

3.)Is it safe to use tanning beds after an HT? If there is a time limit, generally how long?

4.)Rogaine foam seems to make my hair appear less shiny, and colorful... is there a way to prevent this?

5.)Are frequent headaches a sign that I'm using too much of the foam?

6.)The back of my head still has a loss of feeling, is this normal? If so, when can I expect full feeling to return?

Hmmm, I had a few more questions I was thinking of earlier, but I'm out of time to remember them! icon_frown.gif

Thanks ahead of time for any help!! icon_smile.gif

Why bother with any of those products post op with exception of proscar. Minox might inflame the scalp -- I do not see how ti will help new grafts grow that are immune to miniturization -- unless you are trying to keep surrounding hair.

I have been advised against tanning beds for 6 months post op. You should probably avoid them anyway cos they cause skin cancer.

Frequent headaches are a sign of stress and too much caffeine.

Feeling usually returns by 2 months. My sensation was normal at 4-5 weeks.\

The other questions you should talk to a hair stylist about.

Hey,

1.) Ya, I see absolutely no reason why the T-gel shampoo would do you any harm at 4 weeks postop.

2.) No, def not necessary, and it shouldn't make much of a difference on your hair, or grafts....though, some like using a volumizing shampoo/conditioner (e.g. Aveda, Toppek's)

3.) No, don't use a tanning bed post-op; you shouldn't be receiving much sun exposure for ~7+ months, so I would have to assume the rays of the tanning bed would follow as well.

4.) Not sure; maybe lightly work some sort of mouse/gel/etc through your hair an hour or so after.

5.) If you are using what they recommend, your headaches are probably completely irrelated.

6.) Ya, loss of feeling is normal and pretty temporary...I wouldn't fret at this time.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

it's funny to hear some of you guys comment on this poster's questions...the tone in your responses is so different and i wonder if it is related to the kind of ht experience/s had.

plz: my doctor gave me a post-op self care sheet that mentioned not using T-Gel shampoo because it contained tar. Research this. I think the tar is supposed to be toxic to the transplanted area's growth, and they told me to use baby/organic/natural shampoo until the scalp was mostly healed. This strategy has worked really well for me, and my scalp is really healthy and I can feel my fingers when I run my hands through it.

I also have been using pure aloe Vera gel and this seems to have calmed down the redness of my scalp in post op.

Dr. B also told me that rogaine foam is ok to use even 2 weeks post-op, but that once I start it the important thing is NOT TO STOP. Other posters, like Janna, recommend using rogaine foam with finasteride oral, and I think this is what I'll try as well. (waiting for the rogaine foam for a month).

As for the hair appearance, just use the foam at night before bed, and you can style your hair however you want during the day. If you still feel there is lack of luster/shine, then you might look into MSM supplements to fortify your hair. Do a search on the coalition forums, and you will find plenty of people talking about MSM. It's ok to take 2 weeks post-op.

Generally, just be gentle to your melon with products for at least a couple of months. Give the scalp time to heal without having irritants to thwart the natural recuperation that is taking place, and take lots of good vitamins/supplements so that your body has enough good stuff to work with for its repairs.

Best,

aH