My terrible experience dealing with a supposed top FUE clinic in Atlanta

There are obviously a few important points here generally speaking.

Firstly, the point of this open discussion forum is public accountability and transparency. Physicians who are recommended on this online hair transplant community have a reputation for standing behind their patients, in fact, we wouldn't have it any other way.

Also, in my opinion, a reputable clinic would issue a full (or at the least partial minus the initial deposit if it was explained in advance) refund if a patient did not undergo surgery.

Another important issue is transparency (mentioned above). A patient has a right to know any and all information surrounding his surgery, including the size of the punch. Witholding such critical information is highly suspicious and should send a patient running for the hills.

A side conversation that is certainly worth of discussion is what size extraction tool is optimal for follicular unit extract (FUE) hair transplant surgery. I think I may start a conversation on another thread, generally speaking about this subject and welcome all physician contributions.

Best wishes,

Bill

Without a doubt, IMO, the very best tools for an experienced FUE practitioner are the .8mm and .9mm diameter punches followed by further refinement of grafts under high power microscope.

A novice FUE doctor may need to start with a 1mm punch, but after some practice they will find that a 1mm punch is no longer needed.

You should start a new thread on this topic. Be interesting to see which FUE docs chime in. I've found that most don't want to discuss what size punches they use. Shine some light on this topic Bill.

Dr. Feller

Spex,

That is what I thought and of course I have seen the sort on white dot scarring in the donor area that can result from "big" FUE. Still, it occurred to me that, for patients with densely growing donor hair, FUE'ing double-follicular unit groups can be a possibility...a very real one particularly if the surgeon is using punches bigger than 1mm. Hence my question about pulling larger grafts.

(That is my little disclaimer in case the initial question seemed off-the-wall...)

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I'm going to move to the new thread that Bill started, but I want to mention here and now that white dotting, or what some doctors wrongly call "depigmenting" most certainly CAN happen with punches smaller than 1mm in diameter. It's just that the CHANCES for obvious white dotting is DECREASED with the decreasing diameters.

FUE is NOT a scar-free surgery. It produces MORE scar tissue by an order of 10 BUT, the scarring is more distributed and therefore harder to detect.

Originally posted by the B spot:

It is this type of transparency and willingness to share that is commendable.

Dr. Feller is 100% correct--- ANY clinic doing ANY surgery should disclose ANY tools or techniques being used to ANY patient that asks.

icon_biggrin.gif

The thing about hair surgery is that only local anesthetics are used and patients typically hear and see almost everything that is going on (which I believe is a good thing).

During most surgeries patient are put asleep and dont know a thing what happened to them ... and if you know some surgical assistants than you should talk to them, you wont believe your ears when you find out who is doing what during surgery.

One of my best friend is an ER surgycal assistant and sometimes I believe patients are bettter of not knowing what is going on.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

• 3 years later...