Considering Dr. Shapiro

Sonia

Hi all. I have read through many threads and am considering going to Dr. Shapiro. I am a female and this will be a very small procedure (probably less than 200 graphs) to repair my hairline after electrolysis. My main concern is shock loss and the "take" so to speak of the graphs. From what I have read this depends mostly on the skill of the surgion. So my questions are for those of you who have had a procedure with Dr. Shapiro,

Which of the two doctors (Ron or Paul) is more experienced and/or has more experience with female hairlines?

does he do most of the implanting?

Is there any way to request that he do all of the implanting?

How available is he to answer questions after the procedure?

This is a small procedure so I want to make sure that I go somewhere where they take their time with me and don't rush through my procedure. I can live without having a HT but judging by my research I know that now a day the benefits can outweigh the risks. So if any of you can give me some insight by sharing your experiences (good and bad), I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Sonia thats right up my alley as Im recovering from 500 fue grafts from Shapiro.

Well I wouldnt say recovering cause I feel great.

First of all I would call them and ask for Matt Zupan. Hes an awesome guy that will help you in everyway.

Are you thinking about fue of a very small strip?

They do both and if you only need under 500 grafts I would opt for fue .

They have a hairtech there named Thomas Ortiz who use to post as "hairtech' on hairlossadvances.

He is nothing short of amazing. Hes become one of my favorite techs as far technique ,personality,,friendliness ,attentiveness ,postop concerns and just plain having the desire to work !!! . Plus we met afterwards and hes funny as hell and will make you feel comfortable . The guys an animal .He has the energy of ten men. Hes helps with strip and fue . The doc and he worked wonderfully together

Then theres the head tech Janna that has been there since the start. Her knowledge and placement skills are some of the best around if not the best.

I went in at 11am ,started at 12-1230 and was done by 5 with 500 grafts for some temple points and scar fill in.

I also have been there for a strip and and a revision with great success.

You have no worries about their techs planting .

Between Janna ,Thomas ,and Jane who by the way has had work there , there will be no worries

If you rather talk to a woman email Janna@Shapiromedical.com.

She will answer all your concerns

Ron has more experience but Paul is not only a compassionate nice guy but his work is right up there with Rons.

He learned from one of the best.

The best thing to do is call them because usually what we think we need is not very accurate.

They will be straight up with you and change your life. There is no BS from their clinic.

They also stand behind their work.

They are one of few clinics that have been around for a long time where its almost impossible to find any complaints

Thanks for your post. I was wondering, Please grow, if you had any shock loss, and if this was temporary or permanant and also how much of the implanted hairs actually grew in?

I was also wondering judging by your post if it's mostly the techs that do the implanting?

If anyone else has any additional comments or can provide information to how much hair can be expected to grow in on a female who does not have any familial hair loss and has healthy hair and scalp, that would be appreciated.

Well I just had fue so its a different procedure so Ill have to wait 3-4 months to even see any growth.

With my strip I believe every hair grew and that was into scar tissue

There was no shockloss in the front .A little around the strip but that grew back.

I can promise you everyone on here will say if you go to Shapiro or another top doc 95-100% of the hair will grow especially when no work has be done.

Having a doctor place the grafts doesnt make the surgery anymore successful.

Thats all the techs do,and they are great at it

If you insist on a doctor doing it then just ask Dr Shapiro or Janna

Dr Konior and Dr Cooley also place all the grafts and they are really good too.

Hi Sonia-- thank you for your interest in SMG--I can tell you that most clinics have the techs place most of the grafts. They do it everyday and are usually better than the doctor in most cases.

It takes over 1 year to train someone to place grafts-- we have Janna who has 10+ years of doing this.

However, with that said, if you request that Dr. Shapiro place 200 grafts, i am sure he would try to accommodate you.

If you indeed only need 200-300 grafts, you might be a great candidate for FUE which will minimize shockloss in the the donor.

As PGP mentioned call Matt Zupan to have a consult and Doc can work out a plan for you.

Take Care,

Jason

PS--Glad to see everything went well PGP--Talk to you when your up to buddy!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.