Data for F/U's - Ratio of single, double, triple or more

Dear all

Transplant hair density (as a function of growing hair shafts) - and graft numbers per cm2 are subtly different aspects of gauging the final outcome of of any individual's procedure - complicated by variable aspects of each individual's hair type. Often it seems that, when discussing procedures, much emphasis is placed on 'quantity' of grafts whilst overlooking some of the more fundamental characteristics of hair quality and morphology - which would seem to be equally, if not more important in determining '12 month post-HT' coverage or density.

Simplisticly and given the same hair strand type/diameter etc. between 2 people - the individual who had only 1 hair shaft per follicular unit is likely to need 3 times as many grafts as that person who has 3 hairs rooted in each F/U? I appreciate that we all have a scatter of anywhere from 1 to 4 (or more) hair shafts per unit BUT - I've searched all forum threads and can find only limited information on the combinations that have been identified (or subsequently used) for transplantation. My guess is that there is no 'typical' ratio for male or female but I would be interested to know if there have been any studies that might have explored, say, the average yield of each type from 'strip' surgery and whether this can impinge on subsequent waste of F/U's, or whether it explains why mature HT densities can be so variable between individuals who perhaps had elected to have an identical number of grafts each.

I imagine we'd all like a shed load of groups of 3 or 4 follicles per F/U, but has anyone come across a breakdown of what might be regarded as typical? - if in fact 'typical' does exist.

Regards, Sorleyboy

Dear all

Transplant hair density (as a function of growing hair shafts) - and graft numbers per cm2 are subtly different aspects of gauging the final outcome of of any individual's procedure - complicated by variable aspects of each individual's hair type. Often it seems that, when discussing procedures, much emphasis is placed on 'quantity' of grafts whilst overlooking some of the more fundamental characteristics of hair quality and morphology - which would seem to be equally, if not more important in determining '12 month post-HT' coverage or density.

Simplisticly and given the same hair strand type/diameter etc. between 2 people - the individual who had only 1 hair shaft per follicular unit is likely to need 3 times as many grafts as that person who has 3 hairs rooted in each F/U? I appreciate that we all have a scatter of anywhere from 1 to 4 (or more) hair shafts per unit BUT - I've searched all forum threads and can find only limited information on the combinations that have been identified (or subsequently used) for transplantation. My guess is that there is no 'typical' ratio for male or female but I would be interested to know if there have been any studies that might have explored, say, the average yield of each type from 'strip' surgery and whether this can impinge on subsequent waste of F/U's, or whether it explains why mature HT densities can be so variable between individuals who perhaps had elected to have an identical number of grafts each.

I imagine we'd all like a shed load of groups of 3 or 4 follicles per F/U, but has anyone come across a breakdown of what might be regarded as typical? - if in fact 'typical' does exist.

Regards, Sorleyboy

Great thread.

That information (on ratios of Ones, Twos, Threes etc) is out there. If I remember correctly, ethnicity can play a role in what your numbers are. You will have to look around, I don't think I can link to outside sources. Doctors have alreeady done studies on this.

You do bring up a key point: "Density" in the donor area is one of the factors for successful results. However in the donor area "density" is not the "closeness" of the follicular units to each other... Density is the number of hairs in each FU. It turns out that everybody's Follicular Units are spaced about the same. The main difference in "density" is that a guy with lots of 3 hair FUs has "more density" than a guy with lots of single FUs.

I think a donor density of about 2.2 is considered average. So guys with dense bushy hair will probably have better donor density, and thus better coverage from a transplant (they are moving more follicles over, per graft).