OK Now I am SCARED!!!

I looked up hypotrophic scarring on the web, and the pictures resemble what the scalp in my recipient area looks like!! HOW COULD I BE SOOO STUPID!! I didnt even need a hair transplant!!

NOW I royally screwed myself!! I had shock loss, and that will never grow back through scarred skin!! I GIVE UP!!!!!! NOW WHAT AM I GOING TO DO???

I looked up hypotrophic scarring on the web, and the pictures resemble what the scalp in my recipient area looks like!! HOW COULD I BE SOOO STUPID!! I didnt even need a hair transplant!!

NOW I royally screwed myself!! I had shock loss, and that will never grow back through scarred skin!! I GIVE UP!!!!!! NOW WHAT AM I GOING TO DO???

Jenn-24:

I think everything will be okay. When did this condition start? It may only be temporary, after all.

I had a horrible donor site infection (and I have a gross pict to back this up) that swelled up and grew to about the size of a half-dollar coin. It was irritating and caused me great concern.

Thankfully, Dr Rose got me through the entire ordeal. Everything is great now. I began to wonder why I was so concerned.

Well, the concern was justified, but in the end, I took care of it with the help of the expert.

And now everything is great.

I believe you'll come out the same way. Please try not to worry too much. icon_smile.gif

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Vocor,

Do you know what caused your infection? I'm just trying to anticipate any problems I might be able to avoid when my HT comes at the end of June. Thanks for your help.

Manko

Manko,

Geez, I really don't know. I wash my hair daily.

I am beginning to think that it MIGHT have been minoxidil that "leaked" into the suture area. Don't ask me how the wound got opened for exposure -- I just don't know.

In fact, I had two such infections that occurred. The one I talked about in this thread was particularly nasty. It threatened to compromise the result, but we got it taken care of.

If you find something like this, what you'll notice is a small, hard "bump". Mine just kept getting bigger until it became quite uncomfortable and I dare say, noticable even under the hair.

That was MY HT Setback that I had to deal with. Many, many other posters did not have this sort of problem at any time. I can only guess at what caused it. Maybe, I was just plain unlucky.

I treated it VERY successfully with an OTC Triple Antibiotic. I wish I had used it earlier. That stuff did some magic.

The only other thing I really can think of as far as preventative measures is maybe smear some antibiotic on the donor scar after the pills run out at bedtime. That may have avoided my situation, but I just don't know.

I'll try to remember to post a bit. It is a VERY close up pict, though. Kind of gross, I think, but it may add some value -- I dunno.

Hope this helps.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

sorry for your predicament, jen. i'm actually in the same panicking phase/boat as you if that makes you feel any better.(feel free to read my stories) although mine is a growth problem..hair that is.. yeah, but really afy and vocor are right the doc should have a good explanation for this sort of thing.. i dont know if your religious but i'll add you to my prayers tonite too. take care.

Manko,

As a part of my post surgery treatment, Dr.Wong had me treat my donor area with an anti-biotic cream that they he supplied. While I don't pretend to know whether this eliminated any possibilty of infection, I'm sure it helped in the healing process.

It's getting close buddy!

Jim

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

Vocor/UncJim,

Thanks for the information.

Vocor, that could make sense although I really don't know if Minoxidil might cause an infection. I remember reading one time to apply minoxidil an hour before bed so that it has time to be absorbed into the scalp as opposed to coming off on the pillow. Perhaps if it came off your pillow it may have inappropriately reapplied itself to the donor area (I sound like Minox has its own personality).

UncJim, its getting real close, exciting and still nervewracking.

Manko

Jenn,

we're all praying for you. you too, baldboy. i understand how excruciating it is emotionally to believe you've done something to improve your appearance cosmetically, only to fall (possibly) victim to a bad doctor. it is this desire--the image of what we think we can look like--which is preyed upon by unscupulous physicians.

didn't you say you saw dr redmond in NYC? took that long trip and spent a good deal of money. call him!! he should be willing to do a follow-up consult on the phone, and, if necessary, get a digital camera and send him some pics.

it is possible that both of you will come out of this ok... we're all hoping...

hgt

Jenn, when did you get the transplant? May be the scar is still in healing stage. I don't understand why you had bad scarring in recipient area? Everyone gets it in donor area. I hope when your transplanted hair grows in it will cover whatever scaring is there. Wishing the best for you, hang in there.

I followed the advice I received from some kind and knowledgeable men on this forum. I did some research and I went to Dr. Bernstein in NJ today. Unfortunately he turned me down for for HT. He gave me a avery thorough explanation of the reasons why. I thank God that I didn't jump in head first after my first cousultation with Dr. Feingberg. I probably would have suffered SHOCK LOSS and be in a state of complete despair. I feel sorry for you Jenn. If you need help I STRONGLY RECOMMEND DR. BERNSTEIN in NJ. He's an angel.

Hi

be glad that you did not go through the procedure. The doctors should have never touched me, and i should have done more research.

What were the reasons that he rejected you? I would just be interested to know. Also how old are you and how long have you been dealing with this problem?

Thanks

jenn

He does have a pattern of rejecting patients (I was one of them due to young age). While this is without the doubt the safest route to go (nobody really needs an HT), it may not always be the optimal choice. I guess it all depends on how determined you are about getting one.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Hi all!

To Jenn: I was rejected because Dr. Bernstein is very knowldgeable and cautious with women's transplants. I am 47 years old, I have mildly thinning hair/Androgenetic Alopecia. He said I still have enough hair to cover my head and that the HT would most likely cause SHOCK LOSS, and I would end up bald, and possibly the transplanted hair wouldn't last. This is warning enough for me. He said if I have less hair some time in the future it may be possible, but for now it's not worth it. Anyway Jenn, this guy is warm, sincere, and honest AND HE KNOWS about women's hair loss and women's HT. He is in Fort Lee, NJ, not difficult to get to. If you want to you can e-mail me direct for any other info. adelebari1@msn.com

Regarding my consult with Dr.Feinberg. I went into his office with very little information about HT procedures. I knew nothing, I just wanted to have it done. I was in his office for about 15 minutes and booked the procedure without doing any research. I just wanted more hair. He presented himself as being experienced and knowledgeable with women's HT. He was very nice and I trusted that he could do the job. He did give me some warning that it was slightly possible that I would have Shock Loss. He was very willing and ready to give me a HT. I left the office feeling confident about going to him. I later found out that he is not respected by some of his former colleagues because he agressively markets his particular HT procedure to women, even though it's risky.

I would have just gone and had the HT in June if my husband did't stop me. I'm glad I found this forum where you and Microprose and a few others with more experience gave me some advice. I am glad now that I didn't rush. I do want more hair, but HT won't be the answer for me. So that's the story. Adele

Heed the advice you've been given. There are treatments. Some were listed on the site with the link you provided. I wouldn't just limit myself to a hair tranplant surgeon for consult, although seeing one of the top ones may help. Depending on the size of the scarred area, this could be a case where FUE could cover the scar. But, cosmetic surgeons and dermatologists see these problems all the time. Get to a doctor. Don't see just one, continue your research and consult several. There are probably several approaches that will greatly improve, if not solve the problem all together.

And, a piece of advice: Don't keep beating yourself up over this. It's tough, but you've got plenty of reason to believe you can get this straightened out. Many of us, on this site, including me, have made bad decisions along the way and with some research and time, everything worked out great for us. When you're in the midst of the mess, you can feel very hopeless. Your situation is anything but hopeless.

Check these photos of repairs on women who have had a variety of problems including #7 who was severely burned. You can just go to the first of the three links and just hit next and work your way through the gallery to look at the repair work. Some of it is minor and some of it is major work.

(And, please guys, I'm neither endorsing nor dissing, nor taking any position at all on Joe Greco. I don't want to move the thread in that direction. That's not the point of these links. I just want Jenn to see examples of repair that can be done and these are some of the photos that I was aware of. Thanks in advance for not getting into the whole Greco thing. Joe Greco is NOT the point of these links)

http://www.grecohairsurgery.com/photo5.html

http://www.grecohairsurgery.com/photo6.html

http://www.grecohairsurgery.com/photo7.html

Paul

[This message was edited by paul148 on May 30, 2003 at 09:07 PM.]

Adeleleo

Thank you for the info..now I KNOW I should not have had the transplant!! I too had mild thinning, and have experienced shock loss. And from what I hear you dont get the shock loss hair back. I guess I am just going to pray, and pray and pray and hope for some miracle of God that I will regain some of my hair. besides that there is nothing I can do. maybe eventually transplant more hair in that area. But I am not 100% sure if my hair is thinning all over, or pattern like in the front. Thank you for your help!! I really appreciate your concern, and sharing your story.

Paul148

-Thanks for the pictures, they were very inspirational. I appreciate you taking the time to find them for me.

Thanks Again

Jenn

jenn,

have you thought about using minox 2% solution for women? it could possibly help you regrow your shock loss back.

HG

paul148:

I'm glad you found those links.

I found the "hair angels" picts very inspirational.

I think it is wonderful to see people have their dignity restored after going through such trauma and suffering.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

Jenn,

I understand how you feel but dont let negative thoughts consume every thought you have. I understand your dilemma. Believe me, Im 29 and had a surgery for a slight recession and its been a serious nightmere. I have been wearing a hat every day for a year now. I know that as a women it must be unbelievable that this shit is happening, but, in time everything will be fine and you will look great. Everything can be fixed, but not overnight. It sounds like your a young girl, dont sweat it. Life can be pretty awkward at times buy it will pass and everything will be even better.