Propecia = low testosterone levels?

I thought I would get more responses if I changed my topic name...Cause this is a subject to be concerned about..Have any of you heard that propecia lowers your testosterone level? Yes we know that it blocks or lowers dht wich is a product of testosterone. But does it doesn't it also lower your testosterone levels..so there will be less dht? If so wouldn't that make it hard on those of us who are in weight training and trying to build our muscles..You could lift weights religiously..but it won't get u buffed..because of lowered testosterone levels..

Somebody please inform me if this isn't correct.

I'm trying to way out the downfalls of taking propecia the rest of my life..I also know that the less testosterone a man has the smaller his orgasms are..less semen and sometimes failure to be able to ejaculate...

I have asked doctors if propecia causes lowered testosterone levels....and they don't seem to know..but then again I am from Texas..lol

Lon,

On the contrary, as I understand the results released by Merck, Propecia (and dutasteride, for that matter) results in an increase in testosterone levels in both the blood (a systemic effect) as well as the scalp. This is a result of the fact that testosterone that would normally have been converted to DHT remains testosterone as a result of the medication. Although I don't have the numbers in front of me (they have been published in links found on this site), the % increase in testosterone in the body resulting from the use of Propecia or Avodart can be substantial (more so with Avodart).

Current Regimen:

Nizoral 1% (3x weekly)

EMU Oil (nightly application)

MSM (3,000mg daily)

Viviscal (2x daily)

Daily Multivitamin

I totally understand the confusion. The reason, as I understand it, is that DHT actually plays the crucial role in the functioning of our prostate and testes. That's why it was a prostate treatment before a hair loss one.

Having tried dutasteride in the last year, I can tell you that DHT inhibitors are strong medications. Actually, let me rephrase that...dutasteride is strong medicine. I cannot yet speak for Propecia. But I certainly felt a marked increase in testosterone when on dutasteride. I also noticed the oily skin commonly associated with "testosterone elevators." I didn't have terrible sexual sides, really, although a slightly softer erection than normal was noticed (nothing that bothered me too much). My real beef with dut turned out to be the heavy shed I went through. It was just too much to take, so I wimped out and quit. Robert, a regular poster here, has had a positive experience with dut overall, I believe. It just wasn't for me, though. Thinking about starting Propecia soon, myself.

Current Regimen:

Nizoral 1% (3x weekly)

MSM (3,000mg daily)

Viviscal (2x daily)

Daily Multivitamin

Thats very interesting..it all makes sense now. This site is where I get all my information. I'm from Waco,Texas and it seems that the doctors around here are incompetent..lol

I'm trying to decide weather or not to waste my money and buy propecia..I take 200 mg testosterone shots every three weeks to treat mild ED..So thats why I was curious as to what it does to the testosterone levels..But from what you are saying..its the dht that matters with ED..not really the testosterone..

Not being a doctor, I hesitate to delve too deeply into sexual functioning. I can tell you this...DHT can affect sex drive, but anecdotal evidence suggests the use of Propecia does not always do this. Some patients it does, some it doesn't.

One thing that is interesting is that a few people on this board have reported huge muscle gains when taking dutasteride (Avodart). Propecia also raises T levels, albeit to a lesser degree, and therefore your weight training will not suffer (in fact, could benefit). Do a search for post by Justin Sievers (I believe that is how he spells it). He described gaining a lot of muscle after going on dut due to the increase in T.

Current Regimen:

Nizoral 1% (3x weekly)

MSM (3,000mg daily)

Viviscal (2x daily)

Daily Multivitamin