I'm new here

Hey everyone I am new here. I'm 20 years old and going pretty bald icon_frown.gif . . It's been a pretty intense experience and I was checking things out to see where I could find the best help.

Hey everyone I am new here. I'm 20 years old and going pretty bald icon_frown.gif . . It's been a pretty intense experience and I was checking things out to see where I could find the best help.

SustyGuy-

You're doing the right thing by coming here to start your research. First thing to do is not be in a hurry. You'll find several docs that have proven work, so have fun with your research. Personally I went to the Shapiro Medical Clinic in Minn, Dr Charles did the procedure, and I am happy with the results and going back to Shapiro for a follow up this year.

As young as you are, you probably want to start by investigating less invasive solutions in the meantime, such as Propecia. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I don't want to be in a hurry but my hair is heading towards severe baldness pretty quick. It seems like everyday there is less there. It sucks...How did your transplant go? Did it hurt? How did you feel after it was done?

-Jimmy

Sustyguy,

Don't think that a hair transplant is your first or only option. The best way to combat your hair loss is through education and an objective approach.

Check out our Hair Loss Learning Center to learn about hair loss, its causes, and its proven treatments. It is located at www.regrowhair.com

Also, there is a wealth of great information located also at our newest site www.hairrestorationnetwork.com.

...and never hesitate to ask questions and participate on the forums. That is what they are here for.

Good luck!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by SustyGuy:

. . . I don't want to be in a hurry but my hair is heading towards severe baldness pretty quick. It seems like everyday there is less there. - Jimmy

Jimmy, I have been through what you are experiencing now. I can't recommend enough the advice that other members have given you so far. If you are losing hair at a rate of knots then wait until it is virtually fully developed before thinking H/T. I'm 54 and used my dad as the yardstick as to how far my hairloss would progress. Everything seems to have stabilised now and we both have the same recession pattern and hair density. I feel as though I could safely consider a procedure without any concern that I will end up with peripheral areas that continue to thin or that any selected donor area ends up being a genetically pre-programmed time-bomb - that also falls out!

Stick with this site and I'm sure everyone will get you through your travail - so that you achieve realistic and well thought out ideals.

Best regards and good luck . . . SorleyBoy

Sustyguy

You have found a forum for the issue you are facing. Many of us here including me have experienced the loss starting in college, I had the V hairline, receding back, thanks to my uncle, grandfather, cousins all on my moms side!!!!

You want to confirm the loss is not based on any short term medical issue, a check up with your doc or dermatologist is probably in order. The next step may be to consult with an HT doc about your particular situation. I noticed you are in Brockton, I also am from Mass. The doc I used (Distefano) is good, you may want to consider seeing him to further evaluate your loss.

The key issue facing anyone your age is how far the loss will go (check out the Norwood scale). No one can predict the extent of your loss, an indicator may be your relatives if there is a pattern on a particular side (mom, dad, uncle, grandparents etc.) The other is how to slow the loss, with medication, diet etc, there is lots of information on this site regarding these items.

Good Luck, Pics would help get some feedback if you have them.

TMAN

SustyGuy,

As you can see, the overall theme from everyone is do not rush it. I know what you're feeling, believe me. I was about 25 when I first started thinking about it and I came close to making some rash decisions. Ended up getting a procedure at 38. Luckily it seemed to slow down. I can't say it works, but I can't say it didn't, but what I did, almost religiously, was gently massage my forehead, temples, and very back of my head, around my neck, everynight. And my hairloss was very gradual for the next 13 years or so.

Anyway...take your time, research options, change your hair style possibly...Without pics it's really hard to say much, but what you think is impossible to live with might be what we think of as our goal. When and if you do something surgical, you'll need to know to keep it conservative, something that will look good at 50+, and at the same time conserving donor supply.

I'm reluctant to condone surgical option, but since you asked, mine went well. The only pain was the shots, which wasn't to bad. I have pics somewhere on this site, you may want to take a look. My end result could possibly be worse than your situation, in your eyes.

Hi SustyGuy,

Welcome to this forum! It's nice to see alot of good advice was provided to you and others who may be in your situation as well.

Over the years I have witnessed some cases where there was large and even massive amounts of shedding in guys under 25 years of age. Not sure if you have this situation when you stated you were losing alot of hair at 20 years old. Did you begin to noticably lose hair several years ago and now at age 20 it appears as a pattern of genetic hairloss and/or recession? Or are you suddenly experiencing alot of shedding out of the blue so-to-speak?

If you suddenly are experiencing heavy shedding, it may be a temporary situation known as telogen effluvium. You can read up more about it if you have not already. It can be caused by a shock to our system i.e. stress, acute infection, etc. Normally about 85% of our hair is in the growth phase. With telogen effluvium it can almost completely reverse the phases with up to 70% in resting and 30% in growth. Obviously the result will be massive shedding but thank goodness it is temporary. By the way, this condition can happen to women as well and can be attributed to child-birth, ceasing of birth control, etc.

Back to the point regarding young men. I have noticed that young men who have a family history of extensive hairloss, like a father, uncle, grandfather in the Norwood 6&7 classes, sometimes also experience telogen effluvium in their early twenties. Most of the hair grows back (typically after four months), but in some cases it does leave a very defined pattern that can be equated to the Norwood scale.

Again, I was not sure if you are having some abnormally high shedding or if your hairloss has been methodical over time since your late teens. I too would highly suggest starting Propecia (finasteride) to see if you can slow down the loss and it is effective for most men. I have been taking finasteride myself for about eight years now and started it when I was a Norwood 5. There is no question in my mind that I would have eventually hit class 6 had I not started it.

As was already suggested to you, contact a good reputable HT doctor in your area, "get examined" for confirmation of genetic hairloss and ultimately get a prescription if you want to get started on Propecia. Then, "see if it works" which will take at least one year to fully evaluate any efficiency. Although some may not agree, I encourage you to not do any HT procedure until you are at least 25 years old. Believe me, if you are experiencing genetic hairloss that visible, that early, you'll have a much better idea of where it is headed if you wait another 5 years or so. Best wishes to you!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Just one thing that I would like to point out - You don't need to go to a HT physician for a prescription for Finasteride or to even be diagnosed for MPB. A dermatologist will work just fine, though they may know much less about MPB in general.

If one does go to a HT physician with no intention of recieving a hair transplant procedure then I hope that they offer to pay for the physician's time and not just "using" them to get a Propecia script for free. Just my opinion.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog