When can I see results?

Im only 23 and got my ht in late Feb, been thinning since 19. I got 1200 grafts done. doc recommended 600-1000. Im also taking propecia. Im affraid that the ht results will not be as good as I expected, since I dont see any changes, I know its starting, or about to start,growing, but Im concerned because I can feel tiny soft stuble all over but not around my hairline, and I know hair was transplanted there too. I figured the hair should grow evenly, so I should at least be able to feel it there too, but I dont. Im affraid that the hair transplant didnt work in that area. But maybe Im a little anxious. Honestly I dont mind waiting a little longer, but whats driving me crazy is the fear that more dreadful months will go by and Ill still look the same(or worse), Will the hair growth start picking up and will the hair transplanted on my hairline start growing, or should I lower my expectations? Can anybody give me info? thanks.

Im only 23 and got my ht in late Feb, been thinning since 19. I got 1200 grafts done. doc recommended 600-1000. Im also taking propecia. Im affraid that the ht results will not be as good as I expected, since I dont see any changes, I know its starting, or about to start,growing, but Im concerned because I can feel tiny soft stuble all over but not around my hairline, and I know hair was transplanted there too. I figured the hair should grow evenly, so I should at least be able to feel it there too, but I dont. Im affraid that the hair transplant didnt work in that area. But maybe Im a little anxious. Honestly I dont mind waiting a little longer, but whats driving me crazy is the fear that more dreadful months will go by and Ill still look the same(or worse), Will the hair growth start picking up and will the hair transplanted on my hairline start growing, or should I lower my expectations? Can anybody give me info? thanks.

No the hair does not grow evenly at all.

I have had 5 surgeries.

Some the hair came in from month 4 and looked great at month 6-7.

Some no hair growth till about the 7 month mark and ended around 1 year.

1 surgery I did have was a complete disappointment for reasons unknown to me or the Dr.

You never really know what is going to happen with an HT.

Most do produce the desired results. Many times you suffer so much loss in the recipient site it's almost like a wash..ie..you gained 3,000 hairs from the surgery but lost 3,000 from shock that were going to fall out sooner or later by nature.

Hope you fare well at the end of the day. Hang in there it's very early at 4 month mark.

No question that re-growth is sporadic. The hair follicules enter dormancy at different intervals and after resting for approximately three month or so, enter catagen and shed the hair shaft, then anagen and "poof" a new hair cylinder breaks scalp and visibly seen.

Beacuse of this cycling behavior, it is always recommended to give the procedure 12-15 months to realize the full effect including caliper development.

That's always one of the hardest things to do post-op is to WAAAIIIITTTT, but be of good cheer because it will come with time. Post-op I know that every possible thought of reason why it "maybe did not take", comes into just about every one of us HT patients' minds and it can indeed be an anxious feeling. Try to hang in there gbn20s and you'll see things start to fill in very shortly! icon_cool.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Stick with the Propecia and hopefully that will put the brakes on your hair loss.

I question the logic behind recommending 600 grafts. That's a trivial amount that's not going to accomplish much of anything, for most guys. It indicates an old-school type of outdated approach. Before you get any more hair transplant work done, PLEASE make sure you do plenty of homework on what the best techniques are, and who the better doctors are. If you only needed 600 grafts, then you could have possibly held off on surgery completely, for the time being.

I believe he said he received 1200 grafts in his original post. 1200 grafts can look like hardly anything if the patient has extremely fine, straight hair compared to one who has very coarse, wavy hair with a narrow color contrast.

Those distinguishing hair characteristics really need to be considered patient-to-patient because they can make a profound difference in the illusion of coverage.

In addition, multiple hair-bearing FUs will undoubtedly cover more scalp than entirely all singles such as building a new hair line. The total surface area the grafts are distributed to also makes a difference. So obviously if the surface area is reduced, more FUs can be placed per cm2, or vice-versa.

Please allow me to encourage anyone considering surgical hair restoration to think in terms of life-time planning since MPB is indeed progressive.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY