Is it ok to use hair gel. Will it do any harm?

Highly doubtful.

Genetics is what causes the vast majority of hairloss.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Hey, man. You don't know how infamous I am for my long posts. So I'll sum things up in advance and you can read more if you would like.

Basically, products such as gels and sprays do little if anything to cause or exacerbate hairloss.

That said, alcohal-based products (gels, sprays) can dry out the hair shaft, making it brittle, and after a bit of time using such products can cause hair to break off. But not at the follicular ("root") level; it will grow back. Often it just breaks halfway down. But still, it ain't too good for your hair.

Same goes for cheap conditioners bought in drug stores or supermarkets. They contain waxes and do not rinse completely. So you carry round this waxy head of hair all day and as the wax dries, it becomes brittle and can break, taking your hair shaft with it. It's better to spend a little extra and buy conditioners from a salon, or to ensure what you buy does not use wax or alcohal as a base or even at all.

I have HEARD, though I cannot confirm this (it sounds like hocus pocus to me, though), that smothering your scalp constantly with greases and pommades and gels CAN, over time, accelerate hairloss. But the point is it's merely speeding up what would naturally occur anyway. If you're losing it, you're going to lose it gels or no.

Pardon the pun, but the "root cause" IS genetic.

On the plus side, certain product, such as regular old dandruff shampoo--I have heard--can do the reverse; it can stimulate your roots/follicles. Again, this is total hearsay so someone else please confirm or put this rumor out of its misery. But that's what I've heard. (Actually, I wouldn't mind it being clarified for my own benefit.)

Basically, things like hats, caps and headbands, as well as getting your hair colored, dyed or using products such as gels, mousses and so on will not harm your hair. But it's just common sense that constant "abuse," teasing and spiking and yanking and pulling and drying out of your hair will, in time, take its toll.

Cheers,

Pic icon_cool.gif