Transecting natural hair groups.

Abby

Abby,

Since hairs in a follicular unit are grouped closely together, if a clinic is going to trim them further to create single haired grafts, this must be done with great care. In my opinion, further dissection of true follicular units should only be done microscopically to significantly minimize the risk of transection.

There are times when further breaking down grafts is necessary - such as, if a hair transplant clinic needs more singles for the hairline. In fact, this happens regularly in most hair restoration clinics. As long as hair follicles are carefully trimmed under microscopes by experienced technicians and placed delicately into recipient sites without damage, hair growth yield won't be affected.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Excuse my ignorance Bill, but when you mention transection does this literally mean the death of that hair. What worries me is are their people out there who would transect and then plant those hairs into the scalp, which would ultimately lead to a significantly low yeilding rate or even nothing. Please correct me where I may have a wrong understanding.

Originally posted by Abby:

Excuse my ignorance Bill, but when you mention transection does this literally mean the death of that hair. What worries me is are their people out there who would transect and then plant those hairs into the scalp, which would ultimately lead to a significantly low yeilding rate or even nothing. Please correct me where I may have a wrong understanding.

As far as I know transection is killing the follicle.Bill is talking about trimming the grafts [disecting]down to smaller grafts for more 1 hair grafts for hairline.

Dr Hasson 2-08