Question for Pat H.

A little bit of my backround:

Donor hair considered a 9, on a 1 to 10 scale.

NW level before HT -- Confused.

Scalp laxity-Very tight.

I went to Dr. Gallagher's office and was greeted by Tom S. He had a terrible hairtransplant. I was assured that was a mini-micro, outdated procedure. Dr. Gallagher said I will be a six, maybe a 7, on the norwood scale by 40. I was quoted 800 grafts. I was told I was a NW 5. I had a full and thick crown and back. I did not think I was that bad for say 2500 grafts. When I asked why so little grafts Tom told me the other places lie to charge more money. The strip from the first HT was taken very high. I asked why. Dr. Gallagher claimed he thought I would not go that low (first lie as they said a possible 7.) The scar stretched causing ingrown hairs. The HT came in around 3-4 months. It looked extrememly grafty. When I asked why I was told to wait till the other gratfts grew around it. I was also told by Tom I would not need another HT for 10 years. I had shock that never returned. I looked grafty and could not understand why every one else could not where a hat after a couple of weeks. I had couple fu's (4 to 7 hairs). My hair is so thick that it stood out from the thinning hair. I told Tom my friends said it looked grafty. He said to find new friends. He said I would have been totally bald in that area so cut myself a break. I really needed a soft hairline. Dr Gallagher who I so naively trusted said get the front done, it most important. I did the front. The hair line 7 months later was most 2 and 3 fu right in the hairline. At this point I have been wearing a hat for 13 months. I went out once or twice without a hat. People would grab there hair and look at mine. I did not look natural. I had reddness and ridging for 8 months. I went to ask why and was told I would need a touch up. I was despearate for a normal, natural hairline. I could not get another strip due to laxity. I finally went to Dr. Jones who said the grafts looked doubled up. I had a 350 fu touch to hid the grafts. It did work. Again I had masssive shock from Dr. Gallagher. I then had 1000k fu from Dr. Jones to cover all the work. I may have to go back to have the 2's and 3's removed from my hairline if this does not camaflage them. I am currently 6 weeks post op from 1k fu with Jones. Thru fue we were able to retrieve tiny fu's for a hairline. I will know in 6 months if it turns out ok.

I might add that I have 2 scars from Dr. Gallagher. One high and one low. The lower one which was the second scar almost healed 1 mil. The first was high and did stretch.

I have a total of 3250 grafts. I don't know how many coupled fu there are. I was told 800 would last 10 years. I was told they would cut out the first scar for the second ht. We I got there I was told it could not be done. I was told not to worry about scars, you can get scar reduction. I was also manipulated with commnets such as you may be a seven. Look at your wet hair after a shower.

His website claims he was the Director of a large clinic. Bosley ?

I may still very confused.

I trusted this site and the Doctor.

I will say that the fue from Dr. Jones did not cause scarring and is starting to grow in nicely.

• Administrators

I take feedback from patients on this site very seriously. I make my best effort to screen physicians who are recommended on this site. The majority of physicians who request to be recommended on this community are politely rejected.

However, if a physician does not consistantly deliver high quality results they are removed from this site. Those who are regulars on this forum know this to be true.

I intend to look into this matter. If Dr. Gallager's work is determined to be inadequate he will be promptly removed.

I appreciate all patients publicly sharing their real and honest experiences, even when it reflects poorly on my judgement or the judgement or a physician recommended on this site.

Below, copied from the web site from the page "How Surgeons are selected for recommendation" are the criteria used for evaluating which physicians are recommended on this site.

"Sorting through the Hype to find the truly excellent clinics.

Weeding through all the hype online to find an excellent hair transplant surgeon can be exhausting and confusing. Often clinics are found online based on how well they are ranked or spend on advertising, not based on quality and value.

Selecting the right hair transplant clinic is a very important decision since quality varies widely. So you need to do your due diligence to make an informed decision based on credible information.

Separating the wheat from the chaff

This site was created over two years ago to provide an online community where people can openly exchange information and learn about various procedures and clinics.

One important feature of this site is recommendations for surgeons who have a demonstrated track record of performing outstanding hair transplantation. These surgeons are chosen and recommended strictly on the merits of their credentials and end results.

The main criteria used in choosing surgeons for recommendation on this site are -

* A demonstrated proficiency and commitment to performing large sessions of follicular unit transplantation using microscopic dissection, while avoiding the use of a multibladed knife.

* Dedication to doing state of the art hair transplantation exclusively or at least as the main specialty of the clinic.

* Excellent patient results demonstrating a high level of artistry, refinement, and naturalness throughout, as well as excellent graft survival and growth rates.

* Reputation of surgeon amongst his or her colleagues, former patients, and the public.

* Length of time surgeon has been dedicated to performing hair transplantation.

* Medical training, depth of background, board certifications, honors, credentials, lectures, and published articles and books.

* Value - as determined by quality and pricing taken together.

Those surgeons who are carefully reviewed and chosen for recommendation on this site contribute a modest monthly fee to co-sponsor this online community and display their before and after photos and contact information."

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Pat,

I believe you should also look in the work of Robert T. Leonard. He is on your list. I have seen some of his patients. Some of the work is horrifying. It is very unnatural. I do not believe he is in the practice of using microscopes is the disection of strip and his website does not state this either way.

Regardless his method he does NOT show consistant good patient results and therefore lacks proficiency. Even the guys on his site look banged up to me.

Pat, please look into this. We don't want more people getting hurt!!!

Dr. Leonard

The list will mean more, if the standards are kept high.

According to a thread on this website a few weeks ago, Dr. Leonard told a patient that he 'does not believe in using a lot of FUs' or words to that effect. He supposedly made that comment a few weeks ago:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=5696015661&f=7466060861&m=976009196

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I discussed the whole follicular Unit idea with Dr. Leonard a few weeks ago (and he is respected in the H/T world), but he kindly disagreed that it was not the way he felt they should be done. He said that if you move hair, you are moving hair. That single units are fine for hairline, but are hard to get density. Also since he does not do FU, he could not tell me what to expect! I asked him how many graphs I would get and he said he could not answer that. That they use to charge by the graft, but that it is done by the procedure. So I said then what can I expect for results and he said my thin hair would be about double! Way too ambiguous for me to commit to. Obviously, I don't agree so I booked it at Shapiro for less and higher quality.

Lists

The list is certainly a good place to start your search for your HT surgeon - it will greatly reduce your chances of getting butchered. At the same time, you can't expect it to be perfect. I'm sure there are some docs on there that produce second quality results, and I also have no doubt there are other top surgeons that are not included on it. Ultimately if you expect to be handed answers from other people, you may end up disappointed. Do your own homework, decide what you like and what you don't, and pick a doc with great technical skills. It may take a year or more of sifting through information on ht forums, but it's time well invested.

Arfy,

What is more dismaying is that Dr. Leonard was the president of the IAHRS and claims to be "ethical" on his website. I have spoken to this doctor over the phone. He is better that Bill Clinton at avoiding difficult questions.

I have seen patients of this doctor. In fact Woods' most famous repair case was a Leonard mangling. I would be shocked if he ever did a good/natural surgery in his career.

Pat, this man cannot be acknowledge on your site! Just give him his money back!

• Administrators

I appologize to East Coast in particular for any harm that was done stemming from Dr. Gallagher's recommendation on this site.

Although plenty of Dr. Gallagher's patients are happy with their results, I'm no longer confident in recommending him on this site in view of recent information. He has been removed from this site.

I thank East Coast for bringing this problem to my attention and to all who visit this site.

I will also be taking a very close at Dr. Leonard to review his qualification for being recommended on this community based on his actual results.

Any suggestions for outstanding physicians who should be recommended on this site?

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thanks Pat.

I am willing to meet someone in the area to show them this shxx work. I am also scheduled to go back to another Doctor this week to have all the 2's and 3's which arn't even staggered, they are just in a straight line, removed from my hairline. This is the 3rd touch up repair procedure. I can't lower my hairline anymore to camo the 2's and 3's.

I might add that Dr. Gallagher uses some type of lighting blade to make recepient holes. I guess it is bigger than a latarel slit for coupled fu's. Anyway, this left dimples and scarring where-as a lateral slit did not.

• 7 years later...