Lost Hair Grafts?

I'm in my seventh day post op, and was in the process of working away some of the crusts and build up that has formed in the recipient site, due to the use of vitamin oil. While attempting to work out these crusts, I've seemed to dislodge/pull out some hair shafts along with them. Is this normal, or did I end up permanently losing some grafts in the process? Several of the hairs appeared to have the black bulb like ending on them, whereas some others did not. Please advise. Thanks.

Hey Teg_101,

It was most likely just hair that was due to shed. From what I've read, losing a graft will always be accompanied with some bleeding, so if you were to lose a few at one time I'm sure you'd know about it.

Thanks for you input maxxy. There were a few grafts that bled a little when they came out, but thankfully it wasn't too many. I think the remainder of the grafts are now secure, at least until they start the inevitably shedding :/

Speaking of which, has there been any cases were a patient has had little shock loss in the recipient site after pre-op? From what I've read in previous posts, typically all the patients shed after the third/fourth week, but there are some rare cases where this might not lose too much?

I have also just been informed that all grafts are fully attached after about 10 days, and after that you would need surgery to remove these hairs. My guess is that by simply working out these crusts, you would likely not have dislodged any grafts.

• 6 months later...

Here again we have some gray areas. I hear people say the grafts are somewhat secure at 4 days and fully secure by 7. So I wonder if the standard is 7 or 10? It would make a difference on how agressive to be while shampooing.

ive read a good study if i could find the link id put it up but i cant find it......

it was a study on graft anchorage! carried out.

it stated that grafts are safer if the formation of scabs is kept to a minimum by gentle rinsing post HT starting from the day after surgery.

its basis for this is that grafts when pulled where able to be pulled out up to 5 days after easily an are able to be lost when scabs are not present.

but in the presents of scabs grafts are under risk from up to 8 days post HT due to the risks of being removed with scabs as they leave and fall off....

but generally after day 10 grafts should have sufficant blood supply and be firmily rooted etc etc

so all in all after 8 days it should be fine???? but personaly id still wait ten days before i was happy..........

im at 2 weeks now and have only decided to rid my self of the scabs via massage and a nizoral soak and im even worried lol ahahhaha my hairs are just the hairs im sure its not the root cells but still i doubt

you would be bleeding if you had lost grafts. When I was washing my hair post op, I didnt try to work the scabs off, I just washed my hair and massaged with my fingertips, and eventually they all came off, but I didnt try to dislodge any of them. When they are ready to come off, they will do.

• 6 months later...

I am four days post op, sponge watering and lite shampooing my hair. when I was done, I applied light pressure with a towel, let air dry for about an hour and a blowdry set on low with cold hair to dry it. I noticed a two hair follicle loose in between my front hair. It was dry there was no blood. I saved it, and took some pics of it. I wonder if I lost any more grafts but can't seem to find any of them. I was told it's normal to lose a few grafts and that it wouldn't be anything significant. I guess I worry too much.....