Is it possible to put grafts where you still have hair?

Ei guys, i dont know if i already have seen talkin about this, but i remember reading some patients here that had grafts in places where they still had hair to prevent future losses.

But i think i also seen some topics where people think its no prudent do something like that,

Can anyone give me an explanation?

Thank you very much

where people think its no prudent do something like that

The only thing I can think about, is that an atrophic hair,(that has a graft transplanted next to it) may be "shocked" and be permanently lost.

Of course, this hair was already on its way out.

take care...

Hi Jingo, that is a very good question.

It is possible to place hair in between your existing hair however it depends on how much hair you still have. If you have thick hair it may not be such a good idea because some of the hair that you have will be damaged from the procedure.

However, when I have patients come in for a procedure and they still have native hair in the recipient area I shave this area so that I can better see the spaces to fill in. The angles are much more visible and easier to duplicate thus reducing the chances of transection greatly. I work on patients with existing hair all the time and when properly prepared there is no loss of native hair so the final result is that much better once it has matured.

The one issue that I think you may be misunderstanding however is the assumption that getting a hair transplant between existing hairs will prevent further loss. This is not true because any hairs in the vicinity of the newly transplanted hairs will fall out if they are programmed to. Surgical hair transplantation does not prevent further loss. That is the job for Propecia (Proscar) and Rogaine. The surgical procedure merely adds to what you have.

so it is possible as long as well prepared and with thiner hair, i think thats my case, i think it would be a good case for me cause it would help me to prevent for some time of course, any future recession of hair.

I think i get mistaken because what im trying to explain is that puttin some hair in places where still have hair would be good cause it could replace the ones that will eventualy die in that area in the future

Thank you

Transplanting into existing hair that has been previously transplanted is fine. The area is prepped the same as if it were native hair so as to mimic the angles and direction properly. This is of course assuming that the previously transplanted hair was placed correctly to begin with.

I'd like to clarify the issue of transplanting hair into native hair to prevent loss and why this is not exactly a sound strategy. If you have an abundance of native hair in a given area then there are few spaces in between these native hairs to place more hair and certainly not enough to replace the native hairs on a 1 to 1 ratio or even a 2 to 1 ratio. For example if a given area has a density of 80 follicular bundles per centimeter square then there would be few spaces to place new grafts. If the native hair eventually thins out and disappears then you are left with only the few grafts that were originally placed because of a lack of space to begin with and while you may not wind up being bald in this area you will have only the few remaining grafts that were originally placed and the result of the strategy will have been a failure. This is one reason why I am a proponent of DHT inhibition with medications such as finasteride. I hope this makes sense.

i understand dr wong, but if for example, i want to put grafts in places where i do have few native hair and this native hair is very thin and probably will die, is it possible to put grafts for then later this substitute the gone native hairs?

Thank you