Is there a way to tell if you have good donor density?

My hair has always been pretty thick and coarse, but sometimes I look at these pics where I doc says this patient has good density or this patient has bad density and I honestly can't tell the difference. Is there a way to tell on your own?

My hair has always been pretty thick and coarse, but sometimes I look at these pics where I doc says this patient has good density or this patient has bad density and I honestly can't tell the difference. Is there a way to tell on your own?

IMO, if you rub your hands thru the back of your head and it feels thick with lots of resistance, you have good density...compare that to your front where it is thin (the feel test) and you will know.

My bet is that you do have good density based on what you described (thick and coarse).

Originally posted by hdude46:

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Determining density yourself can be a little tricky...you can not see it and you have nothing to compare it to. We can take magnified photos of the donor and count them. To just get a sense of the estimated density we eye it and from evaluating many patients over the years we can tell if it is low, moderate or high, just by eyeing how close the hairs are together.

Sometimes patients with course hair think they have high density because it seems like a lot and patients with fine hair have low density, it is not the case.

Density is how much hair in a sq cm, whether it is coarse or fine.

Added point, density determines how much hair a patient ultimately has to move (number wise) and characteristics such as color, coarseness, wavy and stiffness determine the effectiveness of the hair when moved.

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

Originally posted by hdude46:

so what would be the "ideal candidate" and could you estimate my density just through sending you guys' photos?

Feel free, I think the best one can do thru a photo is low, med, or high density to minmize misclassification.

In contrast to Zup's comment, density is also the diameter of the hair, not just count.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE