Growth expectations after 5 months

Hi,

I've written before and have had some good advice during this process in the past, but I'm still rather curious about what to expect after 5 months. I realize that everyone grows differently but I do notice that the right side of my head is really filling in and seems more densly packed compared to the left side. Thus, the left side seems a lot finer and a lot less densly packed. In fact, I notice some areas that have spots with no hair at all in the hairline. Therefore, it's hard for me to believe that I will have the 40-50 cm2 that I was anticipating from my consultation. However, I did see my Dr. recently for a check-up, who is a coalition recommendation, and he assured me that my growth rate is right where he expected. He also agreed that the one side was thicker but he expected everything to even out in the end, between 10-12 months. To update you, I had about 1800 FUT's on the frontal hairline and temples. Therefore, I guess my question is that even though my dr. expects everything to even out, has anyone had a similar experience? I understand that the hairs will get thicker, but can I expect any new growth in the spotty areas that I described? Thanks for any input.

You cannot make any final judgments at just 5 months. you still have TONS more growth and thickening to come. I recall seeing a big difference even between months 8-9. Just be patient.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

bananas- my shedding of the new hairs transplanted area did so at different rates on the left versus my right. The right side virtually disappeared instantly while the left side took longer to do the same. I fully expect the growth follow in the same fashion (left versus right).

I tracked and spoke with a lot of guys that typically do grow faster on one side than the other. It is perfectly normal!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

"Therefore, it's hard for me to believe that I will have the 40-50 cm2 that I was anticipating from my consultation"

To make this statement at such an early part of your ht post-op led me to believe you were making a final judgment. Plenty of those grafts haven't even popped yet so hang in there. btw, there is an anticipated growth timeline out there that is for the most part accurate. Can't recall where it's posted though....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

No problem hairthere. I can see how you may have misinterpretted my post, and you're right, one shouldn't judge the final outcome for at least 10-12 months. However, this time-frame in the process is a difficult one with all the new growth sprouting and blending in with the old hairs. It's almost hard to believe that the procedure will progress even better. Thanks for your input.

bananas,

The best estimate I've heard, but I'm sort of a statistics based person, is from Dr. Cooley:

-At 6 months,

25% of patients will attain 75% of their growth,

50% of patients will attain 50% of their growth,

25% of patients will attain 25% of their growth.

So, the hard part is knowing which percentile you're in. Personally, I've learned that I'm in probably the 25%/25% group, because I started noticing my growth around month 7 and it's really improved lately, at month 9.

The middle group is typical, so odds are at month 5 you've only experienced 30% or so of the growth you'll get. And then, the hairs will start fattening up around month 10 and look even fuller.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

To answer maxhair's question: no, the same tech didn't work totally on me. There were different techs on both sides of my head. However, when I asked my Dr. about this and he told me it doesn't make any difference what tech was where. He stated that it was his work and if there was to be a big difference in the final outcome it would be his fault. Consequently he basically told me there wouldn't be a huge difference in the long term.

I have had 3 procedures and 5 months is nothing..

The hair, if some has grown in is coarse, and unruly. Cosmetics look poor as it can be a bit spotty as well.

As the end of the day , give yourself minimum of 12-14 months to judge..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!