White hair: a good sign?

Not sure whether this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen anything about it since I registered 5 months ago.

I am 34 now and 4 years ago I started noticing white hair, but only in what we would call the "donor area" :in the back and around the ears, so where hair is usually not affected by DHT.

Question: is there a link? If you start getting white hair in the crown or front to mid-scalp, is it a good sign and does that mean this hair will NOT fall?

When my father started getting white hair at about my age, he had it all over (top, sides & back), and at 63 he still has all his hair, no hairloss whatsoever. Of course it's almost completely white now.

I would be grateful if someone could give me a scientific" explanation of this phenomenon. Also, has anyone ever had lots of white hair in the front to mid-scalp that later fell?

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Not sure whether this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen anything about it since I registered 5 months ago.

I am 34 now and 4 years ago I started noticing white hair, but only in what we would call the "donor area" :in the back and around the ears, so where hair is usually not affected by DHT.

Question: is there a link? If you start getting white hair in the crown or front to mid-scalp, is it a good sign and does that mean this hair will NOT fall?

When my father started getting white hair at about my age, he had it all over (top, sides & back), and at 63 he still has all his hair, no hairloss whatsoever. Of course it's almost completely white now.

I would be grateful if someone could give me a scientific" explanation of this phenomenon. Also, has anyone ever had lots of white hair in the front to mid-scalp that later fell?

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

"A white hair is better than no hair. "

Yup. I agree. I have a friend whos 29 and has some white. Hes ALWAYS whining about it. I just want to shake him and drag him by the ear to the "Just For Men" aisle and scream at him and his FULL head of hair "AT LEAST YOU HAVE HAIR, MORON"

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

It's been awhile since I've read about it, but, if I recall, the production of melanin (or somethin like that) is responsible for keeping the color in your hair. Many people, like Steve Martin, just never produced much in the first place and therefore went white very quickly. I had a white hair or two when I was in my teens, and am just now starting to get more. As you age, your body will fail to produce as much, and you'll start going gray and possibly white (the complete absence of melanin). Like someone else said here, I believe they are susceptible to MPB just like any other hairs.