I need help

Big1

I have to go home in 2 weeks. I had a surgery 2 weeks ago and by the time I fly home I will be 1 month post-op.

I buzzed my hair too short and my extremely dimpled recipient area is clearly visible. I want to wear a hat but I know that I will be nagged about it. My plan is to dye my hair red so that the newly operated pink recipient skin can be concealed. I can then say that I am wearing a hat because "the red dye looks bad".

My question is, what can I use that won't damage 1 month old grafts? I do not use concealer and I think my hair will still be too short in 2 months anyway. My hair is dark brown. I think that I would first need to bleach my hair before the red dye can be seen, but I refuse to use it. What can I use? PLEASE HELP. icon_cool.gif

I have to go home in 2 weeks. I had a surgery 2 weeks ago and by the time I fly home I will be 1 month post-op.

I buzzed my hair too short and my extremely dimpled recipient area is clearly visible. I want to wear a hat but I know that I will be nagged about it. My plan is to dye my hair red so that the newly operated pink recipient skin can be concealed. I can then say that I am wearing a hat because "the red dye looks bad".

My question is, what can I use that won't damage 1 month old grafts? I do not use concealer and I think my hair will still be too short in 2 months anyway. My hair is dark brown. I think that I would first need to bleach my hair before the red dye can be seen, but I refuse to use it. What can I use? PLEASE HELP. icon_cool.gif

how short is it? by one month you should be ok. Seems to me a bit of Toppik (works great) would be a hell of a lot easier than bleach and dye, not to mention less damaging. I would never bleach my fragile hair just after HT

I agree with Hugh on this , toppik works great and there is no after damage . Honestly i think "we" who have had HT shouldnt be so worried .... i think most people would applaud us for having the courage to have such an operation ? I myself had buzzed my hair short and yes you can see my 3 month old scar ( and its not small ) and i know my co workers know what i did yet they havent said a word .... and no they havent gossiped . I just figure what the hell .... i did it cause i will feel better about myself and how can you knock someone for that !!!

If i were you i would just leave it as is and be proud that you had the balls to want to look better !!!!

Big1,

Good points by Hugh and Corey. I also would recommend Toppik for the interim period. DO NOT use bleach now or ever on your hair and scalp. There are other cosmetic products like scalp colorations, etc., products that wash right out.

Now I would think that the majority of patients including myself are indeed concerned about post-op appearance. We really do not wish others to know for whatever reasons we have. From my own experience if you just go about your business and not react to what others are observing, they will conclude that this is not a big issue to you and not think much thereafter.

Remember, you know you just had a HT, they do not. So I often advise patients to act normal, don't go out of your way to avoid others, try to not draw attention to yourself, just be yourself as usual. For the most part others who know us well are more apt to notice a change in our behavior vs a subtle change in our appearance. I think dyeing your hair would be too pronounced of a change which will draw the eye drift to your head. Take care.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

A couple of things... DO NOT BLEACH OR USE CHEMICALS ON YOUR HAIR until at least 6-9 months or 100% FU growth has occured. You dont want any damage.

A couple of options,, BY TOPPIKS, I've been using it for 3 years and it works great and doesnt stick to your scalp in a neg. way like other concealers. It comes in various colors to match your hair.

2Nd-- if you had frontal HT-- then comb forward like Ceasar look-- even if it is buzzed you can put gel in it an comb forward then use Toppiks.

Finally, wear a hat-- and it doesnt have to be a baseball cap all the time-- I bought one of those stylist Derby Hats (a leather one and a cloth one) which is "hip" these days. Alternate that with your various baseball caps. And on different days alternate wearing your baseball cap front and backwards. By this variation of "hat wearing" it should raise a flag.

One final option-- socially/casually wear a bandana-- like when you work out.

Hope this helps-- by the way the redness should be gone by 6th week-- so dont worry your almost there. Best of luck

Big 1,

Yeah, definitely lokk into the Toppik. I wouldnt even suggest that you use Couvre or anything else that would be applied to the scalp for at least a month, but Toppik is pretty un-invasive. Best of luck, man. I have used Toppik everytime I go out and cannot wear a ballcap. Works wonders. Just be sure to limit the amount you put on the hairline.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I have Toppik but the medium is too light and the dark is too dark.

How can I apply it so that it doesn't look fake?

How can I apply it so that I address the needed areas and that it doesn't spill all over my face?

Is there anything I should use in addition to Toppik?

Thanks. icon_cool.gif

Mix em. Apply a little dark and then the medium. Pat it in place and adjust from there. You have to get that "tap method" down with Toppik. Shield your face with your hand too. A damp washcloth will get any collection at the temples (watch those new grafts, though!!!).

I read somewhere (I think in the Spencer Forest booklet that they mail with your order) on how to apply Toppik to salt and pepper hair. That is where I got the hypothesis on mixing them above. If you have it look at it, it could definitely help. If not, maybe they have it on the website.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog