Can you really tell if a HT is a good one by looking at the HT RIGHT after the surgery?

I noticed that many folks (such as myself) will post photos of post-op photos 1,2,3,4,5 days after a HT

I see a lot of encouragement, positive feedback, and praise when folks see the "right after surgery" photos. People will say "Wow nice HT, it'll look awesome in a few months"

But is there any true way to know if the HT surgery was successful? In my eyes the only way to know is to wait 6-10 months (or more) to see the true outcome.

I know many HT surgeons will post pre-ht and then post-ht, while other HT surgeons will wait and provide post-ht six months down the road.

Any thoughts on this?

I look at my post-ht (which I've been blogging) and to be honest I tell myself "this doesn't mean anything, yet"

So for the question is, "Can you tell if you had a good HT surgery based on Day 1/2/3/4/5 photos?"

I think part of the reason I record every day is to help inform users of the detailed scenarios such as "crusting" or "flaking" or "redness going down".

Thoughts?

Good is subjective. There are things you can pick up on about the HT.

I wish you the best of luck with your HT, but being honest, one of the things I "see" about your HT is that Cooley placed the grafts over a fairly large area that had diffuse (yet still strong) hair.

Not saying that you will be unhappy, but cases similar to yours, where HT hair is placed into significant hair often produce a "is this it?" reaction. This is probably due to a combination of further loss and unavoidable transection of hairs. Of course the HT hair is permanent so its a step in the right direction.

So while I have seen some great results from Cooley, and your hair will probably look very good, it may be a case where your expectations are not met.

SO to answer your question, there are things you can "see" before everything grows out. There are probably many more things docs can pick up by looking at each others work.

Thanks Emporor,

I told Dr. Cooley before the procedure that transection was my #1 concern, but he has the utmost confidence that I had nothing to worry about.

One thing I am looking forward to is the hairline in the front, I was definitely losing it so he made sure to "define" it as much as possible

you'll also notice my hairline is pretty straight, it's not a "U" shape like many caucasians. He definitely understood what "asian" hairlines should look like which impressed me

He opted to go lower on my hairline and I said "nope, keep it higher so it looks more natural as I get older", he said "good choice"

I don't mind having 50-70% coverage in the midscalp. I have a hair style I have in mind that will discreetly benefit me.

I agree, my midscalp will eventually need to be re-done (maybe using another 3000 grafts in 10 years, optimistically) but hopefully it'll give me just the right amount I need.

My main concern was the hairline, and I considered 1500 grafts, but then said since I'm already coming in, lets be aggressive and go with 3000 to address overall coverage

We'll just have to wait and see right? icon_smile.gif I'm excited, I cant wait for another 6 months

azn guy - I agree with your post. That said, I agree with Emperor that there are things one can spot immediately post-op.

I agree with your mindset in keeping the hairline high and going for 3,000 instead of just 1,500 in front as some other guys do. If you're going for it, might as well make it last as long as possible.

You have slightly more 1s than average, but your hair diameter looks thicker than average so those two things will probably wash.

Assuming the grafts were handled properly, you should be very happy with your result. Just needs 8-12m probably to see a good benefit.

I had posted before in another topic (a few months back) since my diameter is "larger" than the average caucasian, we "orientals" need less hair to achieve a good illusion

for example, with a caucasian that has thin fine hair, he may have great density, but he'll need 3-4 fu's to achieve what I can with my 1's and 2's

of course I'm being optimistic, Dr. Cooley did mention that my FU's had great diameter, so we shall see!

While on the day of the procedure during lunch break, he showed me my follicular units via the microscope, I might ask if he can provide a photo (if he took one)

He estimated that I had on average 75 fu's/cm2, not that great of density but he fully expected it because of my oriental decent

No you can never tell until you are fully matured. We can only tell if the procedure looks like it was performed with the newest technique, and if the number of grafts correspond to the claimed.

That being said, considering your level of loss, amount of grafts and your thick hair, chances are that you could end up with a full-looking head. Good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

mikethedane,

Thanks, that makes 100% complete sense.

I'm trying to be very optimistic here (maybe I shouldnt?)

But because of the diameter of my hair shaft in addition to the procedure of 3000+ grafts, and the level of hairloss I have

I HOPE, what you said about my changes are true icon_smile.gif

I would love to sport a full looking head again, :-p

Forums like these are great because many of you know what it feels like and it's awesome to be able to express how you feel about a subject that isn't really discussed with friends (especially the ones that aren't experiencing MPB) and that "glimmer" of hope is all one can really ask for after sitting in a doctor's chair for 10-12 hours icon_wink.gif

Yes indeed. You're gonna be fine, I'm almost sure of it icon_smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!