Hair cut short for HT

Hi, does anybody have experience with a good surgeon (anywhere in world) that performs a good HT wothout necessarilly cutting the hair really short so that the surgery is easily hidden? I know it's a silly reason but I thought worth factoring into my research. Thanks. J.

Hi, does anybody have experience with a good surgeon (anywhere in world) that performs a good HT wothout necessarilly cutting the hair really short so that the surgery is easily hidden? I know it's a silly reason but I thought worth factoring into my research. Thanks. J.

Sole_man:

At Shapiro Medical Group we do hair transplant with or without shaving the head. In both cases you will get excellent results, but if we shave the head we can plant more hair at greater densities. When doing a megasession of 3,000 grafts or more, or in cases in which we plan to do dense packing, I think it is important to be able to shave the head. Our goal in these megasessions is to get the patients total hair density (the patients native hair plus the hair we transplant) up to at least 40 FU sq.cm and in some cases we even get their total hair density up to 60 FU sq.cm. If I we are going to plant hair at these densities I believe it is important to shave the head in order to avoid transection of existing hair and get the high densities desired.

I tell patients that we can perform a surgery with or without shaving the head, but that we can pack more densely and the amount of hair we transplant will be greater if we can shave the head. In general I use the following guidelines: In transplanting the frontal 1/3, if the patient has existing hair and will not allow us to shave the head I will transplant 1,500 FU. If the patient has little hair or allows us to shave the transplanted area I can transplant 2,000 to 2,500 FU. In transplanting the frontal 1/2, if the patient has existing hair and will not allow us to shave the head I will transplant 2,000 FU. If the patient has little hair or allows us to shave the transplanted area I can transplant 2,500 to 3,000 FU. In transplanting the frontal 2/3, if the patient has existing hair and will not allow us to shave the head I will transplant 2,500 FU. If the patient has little hair or allows us to shave the transplanted area I can transplant 3,000 to 4,000 FU. Of course this is just a guideline and the numbers varies depending on donor, quality of hair, patients health status, patients goals, etc??¦

In summary, what I tell patients is that we can do a lot in one session without shaving ones head, but the remarkable dense packing one sees on the internet can only be done with shaving the head. So it is up to the patient to decide which way they want to go. Some patients can not shave their head and we can still get very good results. But if they want to get the maximum density possible and the biggest bang for the buck it is better to shave the head.

I hope this information is helpful

Dr. Paul Shapior

Shaving is a serious pain in the ass if you are used to having your hair long, but the way I look at it, its short term pain for long term gain.

Shapiro would be my choice though if I was dead set against shaving down.