could this have damaged new grafts?

I had about 1K grafts transplanted to thicken my hairline about 7 days ago, but noticed on about day 2 or 3 that there was one spot on my hairline that already has seemed to have shed some grafts since there's nothing there and it's a bit pinkish in color, but not painful or bloody. I think I've followed all of my Dr.'s instructions to a T, but I'm a little discouraged by this issue since it's in one of the areas that was thin from my previous transplant. I've been wearing a ball cap that the Dr. fitted for me and I'm wondering if that had something to do with it by possibly rubbing the area too much? On another note, his instructions said nothing about sex, and I never really thought to ask, thus, as you may have guessed, I had sex after the first couple of days from the procedure. However, my wife sat on top and I didn't let her come close to my head, and I don't believe that I strained anything in the process. I also believe that the problemic area was noticable before the act. So, the bottom line, is it too premature to shed some grafts after the first few days, and is it possible that they'll grow back? Also, is sex ok as long as I don't strain my donar area or touch my head? Really. I'm serious. Thanks for any input, although I know I'm setting myself up for some pretty serious shots.

I had about 1K grafts transplanted to thicken my hairline about 7 days ago, but noticed on about day 2 or 3 that there was one spot on my hairline that already has seemed to have shed some grafts since there's nothing there and it's a bit pinkish in color, but not painful or bloody. I think I've followed all of my Dr.'s instructions to a T, but I'm a little discouraged by this issue since it's in one of the areas that was thin from my previous transplant. I've been wearing a ball cap that the Dr. fitted for me and I'm wondering if that had something to do with it by possibly rubbing the area too much? On another note, his instructions said nothing about sex, and I never really thought to ask, thus, as you may have guessed, I had sex after the first couple of days from the procedure. However, my wife sat on top and I didn't let her come close to my head, and I don't believe that I strained anything in the process. I also believe that the problemic area was noticable before the act. So, the bottom line, is it too premature to shed some grafts after the first few days, and is it possible that they'll grow back? Also, is sex ok as long as I don't strain my donar area or touch my head? Really. I'm serious. Thanks for any input, although I know I'm setting myself up for some pretty serious shots.

It's all normal, you can lose grafts for up to a couple of weeks.....Sex is fine....Besides with your wife on top she can do all the work for a change...lol...lol...lol

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

We need to be careful to make a distinction between naturally shed grafts and what I think "bananas" is referring to, which is loss of transplanted grafts before they have permanently fused to the recepient area (i.e. infant mortality/premature failure)

It is possible to lose up to 10% of transplanted grafts prematurely, because they did not become viable due to X (unknown) and H (Human) factors.

take care...

Originally posted by mmhce:

We need to be careful to make a distinction between naturally shed grafts and what I think "bananas" is referring to, which is loss of transplanted grafts before they have permanently fused to the recepient area (i.e. infant mortality/premature failure)

It is possible to lose up to 10% of transplanted grafts prematurely, because they did not become viable due to X (unknown) and H (Human) factors.

but he's losing the hair not the actual graft, right? so it shouldn't be a problem if there is no bleeding? if there is no bleeding it means the graft is still intact.

am i wrong? if you lose some hairs when some scabs came off, is this bad too then?

A graft that is lost "prematurly", or because of "x","h" factors is usually going to bleed...Even if the graft is not viable, after implantation, the incision site is still not completely healed, if the graft is disloged it should bleed. Bananas said he had no bleeding, so I think it's safe to assume he is sheding early.

Just a thought from the peanut gallery..

Bananas, how tight is that hat you've been wearing? Also do you have a pic that you can post of that area? As far as sex goes, I believe it falls into the category of "cardio" so whenever your doc said you can start up with cardio again I would wait until that point. Now I've asked the question on here about whether or not a sharp increase in blood pressure in the head early on post op could cause grafts to "pop" out or not and no one could really give a straight answer. I can't really imagine grafts could pop out this way with today's techniques but just be mindful of it. However with this said, you said your surgery was about a week ago so the BP deal is probably a non-issue at this point (my doc said I can start cardio up a week after my procedure). Just don't get too wild and crazy and bump your head on something while "bumpin uglies" lol.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Thanks to all who have contributed. There wasn't any bleeding, so I hope that was a good sign. Hopefully I am an early shedder. Also, since this is day 7, should I be safe to shower and shampoo with my fingers? For some reason I feel that I showered to early on my last procedure at day 5 and possibly compromised some of the grafts. Maybe my shower was too powerful?