When do you get a good idea on how short you can cut your hair?

I'm wondering what people feel like is a good time point post-transplant to know how short you can cut your hair without seeing the scar? I'm about 8 weeks now post... I remember cutting it with a #6 at around 4 weeks and being able to see the scar line... Right now I use clippers with a #7 and can't see the scar unless I hold a mirror to the back of my head and look closely. I realize that at 4 weeks some of it was probably due to shock-loss... however I'm getting afraid to approach a #6 clipper now.

I see posts of people shaving down to a #4,#3,#2 clippers... but how long is that post transplant? If I could get it to #3 or #2 I would be pretty happy.

I'm wondering what people feel like is a good time point post-transplant to know how short you can cut your hair without seeing the scar? I'm about 8 weeks now post... I remember cutting it with a #6 at around 4 weeks and being able to see the scar line... Right now I use clippers with a #7 and can't see the scar unless I hold a mirror to the back of my head and look closely. I realize that at 4 weeks some of it was probably due to shock-loss... however I'm getting afraid to approach a #6 clipper now.

I see posts of people shaving down to a #4,#3,#2 clippers... but how long is that post transplant? If I could get it to #3 or #2 I would be pretty happy.

mochi-

this is a great question and one that is probably different for each person.

Personally, I have been experimenting since a little after my two week point with shaving down. The healing of the scar and the re-growth of the shocklossed hair surrounding the scar are factors that have affected the clip level I have been able to shave at.

Your donor area native hair is also a factor as some people have much thicker hair there and thus able to really cover the scar with a shorter cut.

I started with a #3 and initially was able to see the scar. Now at over three months, my scar does not show when using a 3-clip. I told everyone I would shave down to a 2-clip and did on Sunday, about a week before my four month mark. I did this to see if the scar would be visible and to be able to honestly show you all the growth I am beginning to see (no illusions!). The scar is still kind of visible at a 2-clip (not surprised), but it is about the same as when I shaved down to a 3-clip at month two. This tells me that when more healing and growth in the scar area occurs, I should be able to.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Mochi

I am also at 8 weeks now.

I went to a #6 3 days ago with success. Still a dead giveaway with wet hair. I still have some shockloss but it seems to be coming back. I probably won't try any lower for a few more weeks as I prefer to be on the safe side.

I think Eman is right when he says it mostly depends on hair characteristics. I have not so thick hair which makes the redness harder to conceal.