Sun after 6 months

Hi

I'm about 6 months and 2 weeks out from my procedure and everything is growing nicely. I'm on vacation and I took the liberty of ditching the hat when I went out a couple of days ago. I wasn't out for too long (maybe an hour) in the sun, but i'm noticing some redness in the recepient area, when i pull my hair back. Its not sunburn..but I'm freaking out. Anything I can or should be doing?

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

Being that the recipient area has been hidden from day light for so long, the sun will easily add color to it. At six months, from my discussions with several docs, you should be fine.

A concern that patients at an earlier stage of recovery may have is hyper-pigmentation in the recipient area from too much exposure to the sun.

I would say make sure you apply sunscreen on the recipient area. You can get it in spray form which makes it easier to apply on the scalp--I believe banana boat makes a sunscreen spray for your head. Also, an all natural aloe gel would work well in keeping the area healthy. I use lily of the desert.

Hope this helps

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks Eman. I'd read that at 6 months I should be ok which is why I went out without a hat..but its back to that hat for the rest of my trip. You're explanation makes sense..i'm hoping the redness will vanish after a few days.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

badger,

You should treat your slightly sunburned scalp just like you would if you never had a hair transplant.

At 6 months, and worry of long term discoloration should be moot.

However, I think it's always a good idea to protect your skin from the sun, scalp included, hair transplant or not.

Best wishes,

Bill