Hold your head up, hold your head high

Hi All,

I hear it's important to keep your head raised above the heart during the first 5 days. Did you sleep in a recliner, prop your head up with pillows, completely disregard that suggestion...ect. After my surgery I'm going on a little vacation and I'm considering getting a recliner put in my room. What are your thoughts on the elevated head advice?

Thanks,

John

The first night I was a little parnoid, I slept in a desk chair with my legs proped up on the bed haha. It was very uncomfortable but I didn't care. Anyways, after you get home I suggest maybe stacking 2-3 pillows on top one another and then use an U-shape pillow for your head. I notice that it limits you from moving your head, which is important the first couple nights following surgery. I also stacked pillows beside me to avoid rolling over onto my sides.

Yeah, I agree. I felt pretty safe and secure sleeping with a neck support pillow:

neckpillow.jpg

You can purchase them for under $20. It's a very practical way to keep your neck propped up and comfortably stabilized during the first few nights of your recovery. Definitely a solid little investment.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

I did 3 pillows last time, but I couldnt rest my head back because I had fue into my scar so I just had to let it drop forwards, gave me a neck ache for a week, but I never slept on the scar so I didnt care about the neck ache, a few days of discomfort will be worth it when the new hairs come through my scar.

Thanks Guys,

I guess it's like having a kid. The fist one you're afraid you're going to break and the second one you leave in the wake. JK icon_smile.gif I'm sure I'm over thinking this stuff. I had a HT in 1996 but it was only around 300 grafts to reinforce behind the hairline. I don't remember worrying about anything. I went it in. Got it done and that was that. I guess with 300 grafts there's not much to be concerned about. This one coming up is bigger, badder and bolder. Unfortunately, I'm little bit older and a lot less bolder that I used to be icon_wink.gif

Hey, maybe just one more thing. My procedure's on a Thursday and I'm flying on Saturday. I have to take two legs to get to my destination and I'll be in the air for about 6 hrs. Any idea how the flying thing might go? Any suggestions about it?

Thanks again for all the feedback!

John

I had my surgery on Monday and I flew on Wednesday (Vancouver --> Chicago, IL --> Pennsylvania). I wore a bandana and surprisingly I didn't have to take it off for airport security or US customs. Overall, it was a VERY long day because I had long layovers but I would suggest sitting next to a window so nobody bumps your head when reaching above to grab their carry-on belongings. That U-shaped pillow also will come in handy while your in the air. Who's performing your operation?

This is a great post. I just did an fue into a donor scar and the patient and I were trying to figure out the best way for him to sleep/sit for the next 5 days. I'll email him this now.

Everyone can learn from this site if you look hard enough.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

HI,

My experience: sleeping on the donor area the first night was tough. May be due to taking meds too late. 2nd night ok with Vicodin. Third day just fine.

I had my HT on 2/6. I was given Propoxyphene for pain relief. This wasn't affective enough for me. I had significant pain the first night. I was given vicodin the next day and it worked just fine for me. By the third day, today, I am fine. I slept in a recliner using a small soft pillow, which was fine for me. The u-shaped neck pillow was good for the flight.