Donor shock loss: when?

I had HT a month ago. The recipient site is fine, there is no native hairs lost even though grafts were transplanted between the native hairs. However, i had some shock loss at the donor that started only after week 2. This is unusual according the my doctor, since normally the shock loss start during the first two weeks. Attached is the pics of the progression from week 2 to week 4 (now). I hope it is only temporary. Overall, the scar healed extremely well and I barely feel it anymore.

If you had donor shock loss, when did it occur? When did the hair grow back at the shock loss spot? Thanks.

compare_shock_loss.thumb.jpg.a4814ab06fe6a01e50c27c01ec226eb1.jpg

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I had HT a month ago. The recipient site is fine, there is no native hairs lost even though grafts were transplanted between the native hairs. However, i had some shock loss at the donor that started only after week 2. This is unusual according the my doctor, since normally the shock loss start during the first two weeks. Attached is the pics of the progression from week 2 to week 4 (now). I hope it is only temporary. Overall, the scar healed extremely well and I barely feel it anymore.

If you had donor shock loss, when did it occur? When did the hair grow back at the shock loss spot? Thanks.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

latinlotus,

I actually just answered a question like this for another member.

But recipient area and donor area shock loss can happen over the first several weeks after a hair transplant. Though most experience it earlier on, in my experience, the 5th and 6th week were the worst. Thankfully, by the 10th week, any shocked hair started to regrow and by the 4th and 5th month, I didn't have any more signs of shock loss.

I know it's discouraging to see things get worse rather than better in front of your eyes, it shold be temporary.

Best wishes,

Bill

LL-

I have experienced shockloss later on like you in the donor area. I have been keeping my hair shaved to a #3-clip and for the most part the scar is hidden. But if you look close, you can see the shockloss still in some areas and I am almost at the three month mark.

I was actually in my car with the gf and two sisters in the back seat and one asked if I was balding in the back--not the crown either. I asked her what she was talking about and she said there were two spots (pointing at the area where my scar is) that there was hair missing. Try explaining that one away.

Anyway, like Bill said, at the 4 or 5 month mark the shocklossed area should have grown back...like you, I surely hope it will!!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

In my experience, shockloss has occurred in unpredicatble ways, both in the donor and recipeint areas. In strip, the donor area around the incision has frequently shock lossed, but it has not been cosistane. Sometimes an inch or so will vanish and yet the rest on the line "holds on". In the recipeint it is more random. I've had temples and hairline areas eaten ou by shockloss, only to re-appear six months later. Shocloss for me has always been big and it always takes me six months to recover.

Thanks guys. I am more reassured now knowing that there are cases of late shock loss and that it is only temporary.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

A couple of questions:

1. Typically how many sq. inches or sq. cm is usually lost via shock loss around the scar?

2.Has shock loss in the donor area ever been so depletive (destructive) that it could not be hidden by the hair surrounding the scar line?

take care...

2.Has shock loss in the donor area ever been so depletive (destructive) that it could not be hidden by the hair surrounding the scar line?

I was never bothered with shock loss since i always though that it is temporary. I was just a little concerned after dr. cooley told me that the timing of the shock loss was unusual. In any case, he reassured me that everything should grow back in a next few months. Even me, at this moment, i have no problem covering the scar with my newly cut hair...granted i currently do have what Eman says is a hat head.

That being said, I have not seen a case of shock loss that can't be hidden by hair. Usually, it is caused by scar stretching or by work done by incompetent butchers out there.

The risk of this, IMO, can be reduced greatly if one of the respected doctors from the Coalition is chosen.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs