Looking for opinions.

Posted (edited)

Hi guys, I'd like some honest opinions please as I feel like I'm on a fool's errand.

I had a transplant approx 6 months ago, in the frontal regional towards the midpoint of the scalp. Approx 3k Grafts. I need to have a 2nd transplant to do the crown, but I honestly think that more would be needed in the front region to achieve better density, as I personally think it looks a bit scarce.

The problem is, my donor areas are not good, and I'm worried if I do go back I would either A) Look very over harvested or B) Simply not achieve the density that I would like.

I've attached a few photos (with flash unfortunately, as my phone simply does NOT like to focus), for context I completely shaved bald approx 2 weeks ago as I had to take a work trip.

Starting to think I should just call it quits? Annoyingly, my hair does look somewhat deceivingly bad when it is this short, and does improve when its grown out... just annoying that I had to shave it off for a work trip.

Back.PNG

front.PNG

PXL_20240521_164322025.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Edited by bigred

46 minutes ago, bigred said:

I had a transplant approx 6 months ago, in the frontal regional towards the midpoint of the scalp. Approx 3k Grafts. I need to have a 2nd transplant to do the crown, but I honestly think that more would be needed in the front region to achieve better density, as I personally think it looks a bit scarce.

https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/how-long-does-it-take-hair-transplant-grow 

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000FU, Summer 2023

Posted (edited)

... I wasn't asking how long it took to grow?

I'm asking whether or not I have enough donor hair to support a second transplant.

Edited by bigred

I was addressing your concern regarding density. At only 6 months post-op, it's still likely that your transplanted area(s) will fill in further. I would wait until a full year has passed before worrying about a second procedure in the same area.

I understand that, however the crown still needs to be done regardless due to it being pretty much bald. 

I don't have a lot of hope for the frontal area as the gaps/space between the hairs... because in the spaces I can't see any signs of there being a graft there so I don't see how it would fill in. I guess, I'm worried about the donor areas being able to support the crown. 

2 minutes ago, bigred said:

I understand that, however the crown still needs to be done regardless due to it being pretty much bald. 

[...]

I guess, I'm worried about the donor areas being able to support the crown.

Yep, I gotcha. I really don't know about the donor area. There is likely still time for that to rebound a bit more as well, though I believe it usually happens more quickly than the recipient area.

4 minutes ago, bigred said:

I don't have a lot of hope for the frontal area as the gaps/space between the hairs... because in the spaces I can't see any signs of there being a graft there so I don't see how it would fill in.

At 6 months, you might not, but it doesn't mean they aren't there.

If you have any clear photos from right after the procedure, you could compare with those and perhaps assess a bit further. But regardless, there's no telling for sure until enough time as passed. That's all I was trying to convey. :) 

• Valued Contributor

In most cases, hair transplants create an illusion of density, which requires growing your hair longer. Achieving a high density that allows for a short hairstyle is nearly impossible. At just six months post-op, there's a good chance your density will improve in the coming months. Regarding your donor area, it's hard to judge how much can be safely harvested from the photos alone. The center of your donor area looks a bit sparse, but pictures can be misleading. There may be significant shock loss in the donor area that could take a few more months to recover. You should consult your surgeon and consider starting medication that might help. I would suggest waiting for full 12 months before exploring other options.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

From your images, it appears as though there may be a light directly shining on your mid donor which may then show a little more scalp. 

If you can share further images of your entire donor including the rear and both full laterals, this may help the community to be able to better advise regarding future potential.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Wait the whole 12 months and see how both the donor and the recipient look before jumping to conclusions and making decisions about next transplants. At any rate, you should not be doing anything else to yours scalp until 12 months after the last surgery anyway so you need to wait regardless.