Military cut and SMP for donor

Posted (edited)

I was wondering if anyone had experience trying to restore a military style cut (slightly longer on top, skin on sides) for a NW 6/7?

Im scheduled for my second transplant in July, this time around with Pitella and aiming for 5k head/5k beard to be transplanted.

My thought was even if I had to overharvest my donor (which is kind of weak anyway after a previous 3k HT) to get top coverage and then I’d use SMP to fill in donor scars since I’ll be keeping sides and back at skin shave which is when SMP looks most believable.

But can this be done?  Possibly also filling in with some density SMP on top if needed?  I saw one guys buzz cut posting with HT & SMP but he was less far gone than me at NW 6/7.  I’m not looking for perfection or a 25-year old’s hair (I’m mid 40s) just trying to get a buzzed hairstyle when my only other option seems to be shaving it off and giving up on hair.  I guess I’d compromise to have a weak donor if it meant more on top. And I saw some SMP that really looked good at hiding FUE scars. 
Anyone else give that a shot? 

Edited by Hair-here

@Hair-here I think that would be a good idea if you want to use SMP to fill your donor scars. But the question is if you do your procedure with Dr. Pittella I doubt whether there'll be any donor scars or not

Posted (edited)

i "stalked" @mtb (saw his comment on zarevs insta account) on instagram recently and noticed his sides and back are fully shaven after getting transplanted like 10k grafts, he was norwood 6 before

maybe he has some insights

Edited by mr_peanutbutter

1 hour ago, Shadman said:

@Hair-here I think that would be a good idea if you want to use SMP to fill your donor scars. But the question is if you do your procedure with Dr. Pittella I doubt whether there'll be any donor scars or not

Just to be clear, I have full confidence in Pitella working his magic but 5k out of a week donor still has to have some effect and I’m just trying to wrap my head around the possibility of some FUE scars and if SMP can take care of those for this type of haircut.

11 hours ago, Hair-here said:

I was wondering if anyone had experience trying to restore a military style cut (slightly longer on top, skin on sides) for a NW 6/7?

Im scheduled for my second transplant in July, this time around with Pitella and aiming for 5k head/5k beard to be transplanted.

My thought was even if I had to overharvest my donor (which is kind of weak anyway after a previous 3k HT) to get top coverage and then I’d use SMP to fill in donor scars since I’ll be keeping sides and back at skin shave which is when SMP looks most believable.

But can this be done?  Possibly also filling in with some density SMP on top if needed?  I saw one guys buzz cut posting with HT & SMP but he was less far gone than me at NW 6/7.  I’m not looking for perfection or a 25-year old’s hair (I’m mid 40s) just trying to get a buzzed hairstyle when my only other option seems to be shaving it off and giving up on hair.  I guess I’d compromise to have a weak donor if it meant more on top. And I saw some SMP that really looked good at hiding FUE scars. 
Anyone else give that a shot? 

Your post is very valuable.  I hope guys continue to comment on it.  I'm all ears....

• Valued Contributor

@Hair-here I think when you’re coming from being Norwood 7 with a compromised donor you ‘might’ find that the best hair cut style will find you. By that I mean it may well be possible to have the style of cut you want. But if you can have realistic goals then you will be happier with the outcome. Dr Pittella is one of my all time favorite surgeons and I believe you are in the best hands for your needs. I have no doubt you are going to have a brilliant result. All the best. 👍

Yeah TBH I’m super excited to be working with Pitella. As someone who needs beard hair, I feel like he’s the best doc there is and so is the best shot I’ve got at this.

And i just feel like if you’re wanting to shave the sides/back anyway, SMP can cover it so well maybe you can go crazy and overharvest the donor and get a much more density on top where I’d really want it. Is that crazy?

I’d like to see some long term results of SMP on FUE scars as well. SMP artists always post photos right after a session, which isn’t representative of how it’ll look 

Yes me too- the SMP I saw recently at one of the better recommended shops was pretty impressive.

But FUE scars are a different thing.