Post-HT saline spray or no?

During my first surgery, my doctor didn’t have me spray or do anything to keep the grafts moist after surgery.

But I see lots of docs do require that.

How can there be such a basic difference in approach in aftercare? How much does it really matter?

Saline spray helps keep the grafted area clean throughout the day. It can also reduce itchiness and assist with breaking down scabs as they begin to loosen after the first week.

28 minutes ago, Hair-here said:

How much does it really matter?

Like many things, I think this is just about best practice to mitigate risk and increase comfort. However, probably most people will not have any serious issues if they don't do this.

That said, I don't know why a clinic wouldn't encourage taking all practical measures during recovery. My clinic gave me very detailed instructions for post-op care and I followed every letter of it, because it seems foolish to invest the time and money into such a life-changing procedure only to be lazy or too relaxed about protecting that investment during recovery.

• Like 2

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000FU, Summer 2023

• Moderators

I prefer to use it. It helps keep the grafts clean and it helps later with the scabs. The scabs will come off easier and sooner if you've been spraying them for several days.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

What the colleagues mentioned.

That being said, I do believe that aftercare is really about minimizing the risk of infection and complications. The majority of the work happens in the surgery room. 

• Administrators

Follow the doctors instructions. Some clinics tell you to use the spray, others don’t. It depends on the surgeon.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Each doctor have their own set of protocols and guidelines—which may stem from their past experiences and/or could even be related to how they carry out the HT. Follow “your” doctor’s instructions, even if they are opposite/different than some other doctor.

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

Yes for sure I will do what he recommends this time, just as I did as directed with my other doctor last time too.

I just always wondered if the poor yield last time could have been connected to not keeping grafts moist afterwards.

It just seems like such a major part of aftercare to have such opposite strategies on between doctors.