Anyone else get folliculitis after hair transplant?

My surgery was March 18 and 18th so im about 7 weeks post op. Maybe 3 weeks after the op when scans fell I noticed my bears donor area get very pimply and some on the back of head as well.

At first I would apply acne creams etc then I thought maybe its ingrown hairs but after getting the area lasered it didnt help much.

Finally yesterday a dermatologist diagnosed this as follicullitis and prescribed my Ketoconozole 2% shampoo, a benzoyl Peroxide 5% cleanser and topical antibiotic Clindamycin 1%.

I’m a bit distraught as it looks horrible. Ive had clear skin since teenage years (38 now). Doc said if it doesnt work he will have to give me oral antibiotics

Anyone else get folliculitis post transplant? Hope this goes away soon 

IMG_4505.jpeg

IMG_4507.jpeg

IMG_4509.jpeg

IMG_4506.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

It's not uncommon, but it will clear up in due time with the treatments that have been prescribed.

Who was your surgeon/clinic?

1 hour ago, Berba11 said:

It's not uncommon, but it will clear up in due time with the treatments that have been prescribed.

Dr.Pitella in Brazil who did an amazing job as far as I can tell although results should start showing end of June.

This folliculitis issue seemed to start a few weeks post op

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berba11 said:

I wish there was more situations here so I can get an idea of how other people healed their folliculitis, in how long and with what treatment

Its pretty common. I had one spot where i hit my head (soft) but had a slight scratch which ended up with a bit of folliculitis. I used on my doctors recommendation Fucidin 2% for a week and it was over with, but it was very minor. 

it happens occasionally in patients that are predisposed to it. Sometimes you need oral doxycycline or something to clear it. should not effect the final results. 

On 5/8/2024 at 12:39 PM, shiba1985 said:

it happens occasionally in patients that are predisposed to it. Sometimes you need oral doxycycline or something to clear it. should not effect the final results. 

Never had it in my life before nor from 3 prior transplants.

also added oral doxycycline yesterday

How is the folliculitis now? I am in the same boat as you. I had my surgery with Dr. Pittella early March and bad folliculitis in donor and beard kicked in April. Also had couple of neck lymph nodes swollen.  I am currently on Doxycycline and Clindamycin topical for the past 10 days. It is slightly better but still getting pimples which seem to resolve after 3-4 days.

• Like 1

How can it be ingrown hair if it’s the donor area and the hair follicle was removed?  Is it just in the donor area or the recipient area as well?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2024 at 8:49 AM, Indguy said:

How is the folliculitis now? I am in the same boat as you. I had my surgery with Dr. Pittella early March and bad folliculitis in donor and beard kicked in April. Also had couple of neck lymph nodes swollen.  I am currently on Doxycycline and Clindamycin topical for the past 10 days. It is slightly better but still getting pimples which seem to resolve after 3-4 days.

Sorry I just saw this! The doxycycline and Clindamycin didn't help. Went to a 2nd derm who took skin grafts and gave me anti fungal meds. Now been 5-6 weeks looking like a teenager with breakouts. Starts getting better then flares up again.

Strange that you’re having the same issue in the same areas after surgery with Pitella.

My derm said it could be reaction to stopping the meds he gave to take. Wonder if the clippers they used to buzz people dont get sanitized properly. Or the Sheraton hotel they gave had unclean pillow case. Too many factors to pin point. All i know is that nothing is helping and its been many weeks. Im starting to feel miserable.

In also using ketoconozole shampoo on head and face in case its fungak, tea tree oil, benzoyl peroxide 10% cleansers and today trued Hibiclens.

Ive literally exhausting every option its ridiculous 

1 hour ago, YodaHead said:

@bigtyivier2k2- Have you had video calls with Dr. Pittella? What was his response/recommendation?

Recommended I use the bacitracin zinc cream they gave me as well as doxycycline. Doxy didnt work after 2 weeks upon which lab test came back negative for staph and other bacterial.

Went to a better derm for 2nd opinion then and he took actual skin pieces to test for viral, fungal etc (previous derm did q tip swab)

Waiting for results

On 5/16/2024 at 8:49 AM, Indguy said:

Any update