what is the „normal rate“ of miniaturization in the donor area?

• Administrators

10% is the average for telogen.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

My local HT surgeon informed me that anything less than 20% is considered normal and not DUPA.

I have some miniaturization in my donor but the doctor said it's about 5% which is fairly normal and he said he wouldn't be concerned unless it was more than 20%.

9 minutes ago, Ccd99 said:

My local HT surgeon informed me that anything less than 20% is considered normal and not DUPA.

I have some miniaturization in my donor but the doctor said it's about 5% which is fairly normal and he said he wouldn't be concerned unless it was more than 20%.

thank you 

i have 5 % at the sides but 15 % at the back so i was a bit concerned i might have dupa

nontheless, probably should take fin more seriously 

1 minute ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

thank you 

i have 5 % at the sides but 15 % at the back so i was a bit concerned i might have dupa

nontheless, probably should take fin more seriously 

Exactly, this is why I never understand people who say there is no need for them to take DHT inhibitors like fin/dut because they've "lost most of their hair anyway" or "not going to lose any more hair because I'm in 40s"

The reality is not all donor hair is DHT resistant, and over time DHT will work away and miniaturise some donor hair too (not necessarily all).

I jumped on meds about 8 months ago and back then I went in for a consultation with the same doctor and he told me I have miniaturisation in the donor, but it was around 15% or so, still less than 20% and he advised to continue meds. So when I saw him again recently for a follow up he was very pleased to see that Dut has effectively reversed the donor hair miniaturisation, putting me in a better position for a hair transplant intervention.

@mr_peanutbutter this might be a good watch for you, Dr Lorenzo goes into detail how DUPA is diagnosed and what he looks for in terms of miniaturization in the donor (he mentions 15%):

image.png.87b1bb197651b580eabb61c62b206f8c.png

Full video below:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ccd99 said:

@mr_peanutbutter this might be a good watch for you, Dr Lorenzo goes into detail how DUPA is diagnosed and what he looks for in terms of miniaturization in the donor (he mentions 15%):

image.png.87b1bb197651b580eabb61c62b206f8c.png

Full video below:

very interesting

there is also an article about that topic here:

https://www.blogcalvizie.it/en/dupa-bupa/

seems like lorenzo have a slightly disagreement regarding the numbers

2013, Dr.Bisanga presented a paper at the ISHRS congress on donor area miniaturization, explaining how patients with a pattern of androgenetic alopecia could present this situation. Dr. Bisanga concluded his report by explaining how a patient with 25% miniaturization in the donor area could not be considered a suitable candidate for a hair transplant.“