Why to wait 12 months for final results?

It is a common understanding, that you have to wait 12 months or up to 18 months to see the final results. On the other hand, what is the timeframe to wait to see, if the procedure had failed (Grafts were the weak to create strong terminal hairs)? I have seen these tables, where is stated that after for example 6 months there are only 50% of the implanted grafts have grown out. 

So, by 6 months generally you will see the most of your results if you only transplanted the front. Let's say 85%. There will be further thickening and maturation of the hair, some multi hair grafts sprout at different times, and by 9 months you will probably be at your final result. 

The crown takes longer due to less blood flow, so by 9 months you will see most of your results, 85%, and some further maturation in the next few months to come.

57 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

So, by 6 months generally you will see the most of your results if you only transplanted the front. Let's say 85%. There will be further thickening and maturation of the hair, some multi hair grafts sprout at different times, and by 9 months you will probably be at your final result. 

The crown takes longer due to less blood flow, so by 9 months you will see most of your results, 85%, and some further maturation in the next few months to come.

The problem is that you need to account for everyone, including those slow growers. For then, they could have nowhere near 85% frontal growth at 6 months so would worry them unnecessarily if you set that expectation.

@Daniel2727,

While hair transplant surgery is a single procedure that occurs during one or maybe two days, hair transplant growth is a process that takes up to 12 to 18 months to see the final result.  But because results don’t just sprout up overnight on the 365th day, there will be tall tale signs of success or failure along the way.  I should caution you however, that is the timeline for everybody is different. In other words, while some may start seeing signs of new growth at three months and significant growth between the fifth and sixth month, others may not even start to see signs of new growth until the fifth month.

all that to say however, I would suggest that if there is little to no growth by the 7th or 8th month that there may be an issue.  Because even slow growers typically see pretty good signs of growth by that point. But again… Stranger things have happened and I have seen individuals who have been exceptionally concerned around 6 to 7 months that turned out to be completely happy by the time they reached the year marker.

typically between one year and 18 months, there still may be some sickening that occurs but for the most part, one’s final result is typically around 12 months.

Best wishes,

Patient Advocate - Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

21 hours ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

The problem is that you need to account for everyone, including those slow growers. For then, they could have nowhere near 85% frontal growth at 6 months so would worry them unnecessarily if you set that expectation.

I haven't really seen too many cases of slow growers to be honest. 

Posted (edited)

Most patients see their most growth till the month 7. After 7 months there is more thickening of the existing hairs. However crown growth might take more time. 

Edited by Belve
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, asterix0 said:

I haven't really seen too many cases of slow growers to be honest. 

The texture of the hair can change between months 9-12 too which alters the result. Mine was quite frizzy until around month 9, growth was good but it did stand out a little. Between 9-12 months it reverted to my natural hair characteristics and blended in much better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...