Effects of Stopping Propecia & Starting Finasteride

jimdee

I recently went generic and starting using Finasteride (cut into 4 pieces). It seems to me that I began losing some of my transplanted hair almost immediately. Has anyone else experienced this issue when switching medications?

jimdee,

Where are you buying your generic finasteride? Also, I'm not sure why you'd start to lose transplanted hair even if you are going through another initial shedding period.

When I made the switch from Propecia to Proscar, I didn't experience any shedding. In my opinion, be sure you are buying your generic finasteride from a legitimate source.

Best wishes,

Bill

Are you sure it is your transplanted hair that is falling out? That hair should be with you for life shouldn't it?

It is possible that switching to generic Finasteride (cutting it into 4 pieces means an extra 0.25mg roughly) is causing some initial shedding on native hairs but it should stabilize soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bill and drmstx! It may be the native hair that I'm losing and not transplanted hair. I haven't switched back to Propecia yet but hope that doesn't exacerbate the issue somehow.

• 1 month later...