Minoxidil causing transplanted hairs to fall? Long term usage?

Hello, i did my first HT in 2023. The clinic told me to use minoxidil after 3-4 weeks but only on my donor area, not on the transplanted area. They said that minoxidil can cause for loss on transplanted area. 

What are your experiences using minoxidil? You guys experience some loss? And what about using minoxidil on the long term. Some say it will lose its effectiveness over time and you will lose more hair.

Just now, patronovski said:

Hello, i did my first HT in 2023. The clinic told me to use minoxidil after 3-4 weeks but only on my donor area, not on the transplanted area. They said that minoxidil can cause for loss on transplanted area. 

What are your experiences using minoxidil? You guys experience some loss? And what about using minoxidil on the long term. Some say it will lose its effectiveness over time and you will lose more hair.

According to my surgeon instructions, I avoided using topical minoxidil to the transplanted area. According to him, for the first three months topical minoxidil should be avoided for the transplanted area. But oral minoxidil can be taken, no issues. I'm on oral minoxidil from the last nine months

23 minutes ago, Shadman said:

According to my surgeon instructions, I avoided using topical minoxidil to the transplanted area. According to him, for the first three months topical minoxidil should be avoided for the transplanted area. But oral minoxidil can be taken, no issues. I'm on oral minoxidil from the last nine months

Some clinics advised me to use topical minoxidil after two weeks of surgery. I am very confused now.

On 3/15/2024 at 4:25 PM, Shadman said:

Follow what your surgeon advised

When i had my first HT they didnt recommend minoxidil at all. But my second HT the doctor recommended it. Its very confusing.

Because topical minoxidil usually contains propylene glycol which is used as a solvent in minoxidil solution, that is the reason why some doctors recommend the patients to avoid using it. Propylene glycol can cause some irritation to the scalp in some people and it is advised to wait until the wound healing is complete before start using topical minoxidil.

For oral minoxidil, it can be started right after the surgery.

As a long term use, both topical and oral minoxidil are considered safe as treatment of androgenetic alopecia (AGA). Recently, the use of oral minoxidil has been getting more popular comparing to topical minoxidil because it is more convenient and the patients have better compliance. 

During the first 1-3 months after starting minoxidil, the hair will shed first because minoxidil drives the hair follicles to end the current cycle to initiate a new one with stronger and larger hair caliber. In order for the new hair to grow, the old ones need to say bye bye. There will be no spring, if there's no autumn :)

The shedding phase makes lots of patients become anxious most of the time, it is advised to keep taking or applying minoxidil until it's at least 6 months. If the patient stops using it then the hair will just turn to the stage which it should be without medications.

I hope this help

Best,

Wipawan Vathananai MD

Hair transplant surgeon and dermatologist (BHI Clinic, Bangkok, Thailand)

• Like 1

Dr. Wunny (Wipawan Vathananai)

Hair transplant surgeon & Dermatologist (ISHRS Fellowship 2022-2023)

BHI Clinic, Bangkok, Thailand (https://www.bhiclinic.com/en/)