Am I suitable for a hair transplant?

Hi guys I am new here, I have been thinking about a hair transplant for many years and now thinking about it more seriously. I have had many clinics tell me that I am suitable for 3-4k grafts with potential for beard and chest support to add further to that number.

A few clinics have advised me not to go for a hair transplant at all.

I am offered FUE but occasionally DHI by some other clinics to sustain and not damage hair that are there on the frontal scalp.

I have never had a transplant before, and I have recently started minoxidil and finasteride topically.

I am keen to do something about by hair but want to be in a better position than I am in now. Good frontal density with some crown coverage without overharvesting my donor area would be my expectation.

I would be grateful if you guys let me know your thoughts regarding my suitability and if so clinic to choose. 

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3275.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

6 minutes ago, BaldReaper said:

avoid hair transplants, your donor is very bad, any clinic that offers you a transplant just wants to botch you and steal your money

Thanks for your advice why is my donor area bad specifically for my understanding? around 3 clinics refused me and 15 accepted. I am lead to believe 3.5k grafts from donor and 0.8k grafts from beard would provide be good donor area result and good coverage till mid scalp.

Posted (edited)

Your donor is really poor and it seems that you have dupa. You have no donor hair to support a hairtransplant to achieve your goals. Imo the best option would be to shave your head and see if you like it. You might be surprised about how good this might fit your case.

Edited by jjalay

@P92 by looking at your pictures it reminds of my condition back in 2018. You need to give medications at least one year before planning for a ht. Oral fin/min will definitely improve your donor. If you start medications, it'll improve your donor. And after one year you can access your condition and plan accordingly. 

15 minutes ago, jjalay said:

Your donor is really poor and it seems that you have dupa. You have no donor hair to support a hairtransplant to achieve your goals. Imo the best option would be to shave your head and see if you like it. You might be surprised about how good this might fit your case.

Thanks @jjalay I will look into this. Unfortunately going bald doesn't suit me as I have tried it many times. I think being on topical minoxidil and finasteride for a few months and assessing would be a good idea for me?

15 minutes ago, Shadman said:

@P92 by looking at your pictures it reminds of my condition back in 2018. You need to give medications at least one year before planning for a ht. Oral fin/min will definitely improve your donor. If you start medications, it'll improve your donor. And after one year you can access your condition and plan accordingly. 

@Shadman Okay would topical fin/min do the same? Keen to avoid regular side effects. I am also keen to follow your journey, I will go through your posts if you have photos I would appreciate you showing me and seeing them. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, P92 said:

@Shadman Okay would topical fin/min do the same? Keen to avoid regular side effects. I am also keen to follow your journey, I will go through your posts if you have photos I would appreciate you showing me and seeing them. Thank you.

Hi, in my case topical min and oral finasteride worked much better back in 2018. I understand your concerns about the sides, but not everyone would be exposed to sides. You should give it a try and see how it responds. You should start with 1 mg of fin 4 times in a week. It'll improve your donor. Moreover, the best part is that even if you face sides, the moment you stop using it all the sides will gradually go away. 

• Moderators

It looks like your entire donor area is thinning. Are you on any non hair loss medications that can cause hair loss, such as blood thinners? You may have issues going on in addition to male pattern baldness. Be very careful about proceeding with a hair transplant at this stage because from the pictures it doesn't look like you have much, if any, useable donor area. If it's thinning, taking it out and placing it on top is not going to help you. It's just going to thin and fall out from the top after it's moved. You need to address the thinning donor area first.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

7 minutes ago, Shadman said:

Hi, in my case topical min and oral finasteride worked much better back in 2018. I understand your concerns about the sides, but not everyone would be exposed to sides. You should give it a try and see how it responds. You should start with 1 mg of fin 4 times in a week. It'll improve your donor. Moreover, the best part is that even if you face sides, the moment you stop using it all the sides will gradually go away. 

Thanks for this I appreciate your advice and will definitely look into this.

1 hour ago, P92 said:

Thanks @jjalay I will look into this. Unfortunately going bald doesn't suit me as I have tried it many times. I think being on topical minoxidil and finasteride for a few months and assessing would be a good idea for me?

YOu have to give finasteride 12 months time to see if you will get any improvement in the donor area. Just to give you an idea your donor area right now looks as you already had surgery and you have been overharvested, so you dont have much resources. Your beard hair from the other side looks great(it can give 2K grafts witout any visible diferrence) and you can utilize beard and chest hair for a hairtransplant. My suggestion would be to give finasteride 1 year to see how it goes. After that and if you are not ok with the idea of shaving your head you should contact a doctor that specializes in higher NW cases using body hair. There are not many doctors that can take your case and give you a good result without causing any damage, in your case i think dr Pitella in Brazil is possibly the best choice you can make.