Which doctor-Bloxham, Nader, or Panine and how many grafts

Posted (edited)

I had been on Finasteride and OM for a while but after being inconsistent with fin during a recent live for 6 weeks I lost a shocking amount of hair in a 2 week period from early to mid Feb. not sure where it is at now. Been back on medicine consistently for 3-4 weeks now but I can still see miniaturizing hairs coming out when I run my hands through my hair, especially in the shower.  Will I continue to lose hair or can I expect to regain some of what I have lost? 

I am looking to get a HT to lower the corners of my hairline. Located in Midwest and considering bloxham, Panine in Chicago, and Nader in Cleveland.  I also saw a local clinic called we grow hair Indy but I was skeptical of their marketing techniques.

Bloxham quoted 600 grafts per side as a rough estimate for 1200 total. Local clinic said 2000 hairs but they were trying to play up this multi unit grafting procedure and I was skeptical since it kind of sounded like old hair plugs. 

does anyone have experience with these three doctors? If so who would you recommend? How many grafts would you estimate are necessary? I have attached the hairline design proposed by the consultant from the local clinic. Dry hair in clinic pictures and wet hair in the others. 

IMG_4671.png

IMG_4672.png

IMG_4670.jpeg

IMG_4660.jpeg

IMG_4669.png

IMG_4726.jpeg

IMG_4728.jpeg

IMG_4729.jpeg

Edited by Cyzkm

• Cyzkm changed the title to Which doctor-Bloxham, Nader, or Panine and how many grafts
Posted (edited)

No to the Dr's on you're list apart from Dr Panine. Dr Bloxham I feel is very mediocre (just my opinion). 

Consult with Dr Panine, it would be interesting to see how many grafts he would be suggesting. Personally I don't think you necessarily need a ht right now. 

Stay on the meds sure. Just be careful when considering a Ht, get a few consults done. If you can travel then look further afield, some really good Dr's out there, some are not on the recommended list. 

As you mentioned @Dr. Vladimir Panine though I will tag @mavigo

Edited by Britanium
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Britanium said:

No to the Dr's on you're list apart from Dr Panine. Dr Bloxham I feel is very mediocre (just my opinion). 

Consult with Dr Panine, it would be interesting to see how many grafts he would be suggesting. Personally I don't think you necessarily need a ht right now. 

Stay on the meds sure. Just be careful when considering a Ht, get a few consults done. If you can travel then look further afield, some really good Dr's out there, some are not on the recommended list. 

As you mentioned @Dr. Vladimir Panine though I will tag @mavigo

Thanks! I have a consult with Panine on Monday. 

what don’t you like about Bloxham? He was very responsive to my emails and gave thought out responses to each question. I think he used to be a mod here? On Reddit I saw people saying he used bad technicians but it’s Reddit so idk. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cyzkm said:

Thanks! I have a consult with Panine on Monday. 

what don’t you like about Bloxham? He was very responsive to my emails and gave thought out responses to each question. I think he used to be a mod here? On Reddit I saw people saying he used bad technicians but it’s Reddit so idk. 

I find his hairlines unremarkable. He particularly likes doing FUT, most Dr's are now mostly proficient and perform FUE in just about most cases they do. 

Besides which some of his results don't turn out particularly well. Just do a search on as many sources as you possibly can before you make any decisions. You however may like his work, personally I put him mid range. Nothing amazing, with maybe more misses than other Drs.

Definitely don't take my word on it though, or any other members, here or anywhere else. Research as many results as you can find and make you're own mind up. 

The Dr himself (Blake) is very knowledgeable and yes he was a mod here years ago. I like the person. 

Dr Panine I just see better work, of course he might not be the right fit for you're particular needs, hence why I mentioned to keep looking for other possibilities. 

So many decent choices worldwide, the list here is not exhaustive but it does have more than it's fair share of good Dr's. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Britanium said:

I find his hairlines unremarkable. He particularly likes doing FUT, most Dr's are now mostly proficient and perform FUE in just about most cases they do. 

Besides which some of his results don't turn out particularly well. Just do a search on as many sources as you possibly can before you make any decisions. You however may like his work, personally I put him mid range. Nothing amazing, with maybe more misses than other Drs.

Definitely don't take my word on it though, or any other members, here or anywhere else. Research as many results as you can find and make you're own mind up. 

The Dr himself (Blake) is very knowledgeable and yes he was a mod here years ago. I like the person. 

Dr Panine I just see better work, of course he might not be the right fit for you're particular needs, hence why I mentioned to keep looking for other possibilities. 

So many decent choices worldwide, the list here is not exhaustive but it does have more than it's fair share of good Dr's. 

Thanks! Any thoughts on Hader? Personally I would rather do fut if the results are more likely to preserve natural density and it preserves more donor. Why don’t you think I nececessarily need the HT rn? 

Just now, Cyzkm said:

Thanks! Any thoughts on Hader? Personally I would rather do fut if the results are more likely to preserve natural density and it preserves more donor. Why don’t you think I nececessarily need the HT rn? 

For such a small amount of grafts needed you really don't want a FUT. It does not necessarily preserve more of you're donor area, the advances of FUE in recent years means FUT is mostly not even needed. 

Go look at the results being achieved with FUE alone, Dr Zarev, Dr Pitella, Fuegenix and Dr Sethi as just some examples. For you're case which isn't going to require many grafts if you do go ahead? Definitely not a FUT, you don't want a linear scar for life for a relatively low amount.

From what I can see and the graft counts I can see being quoted the risk is a obvious disparity between you're current thick native hair and what would be implanted at  much less density per cm2. A transplant should always aim to look as natural as possible. 

So did Dr Bloxham say he was planning to do FUT

Your hairline looks very normal. 

Stay on the medication, and I would say try and seek out a dermatologist or trichologist if you can to track your progress on medication. Not sure if either of the surgeons would do it, but the may be willing to do so for you.

I don't think you need a hair transplant at this time.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Bloxham said you could do either and there are pros and cons to each. I wouldn’t care about a scar since I would wear a piece a million times over before I would shave my head.  I lean FUT if the result is more likely to be dense.

The density thing is a concern but he always talks about dense packing in his YouTube videos so that was what drew me to him. 

this is what I told him I was inretested in and he said that because of my similarities to this patient this is exactly what he would recommend. Would cost 8-10k though for a procedure that some would say is not necessary is the only thing. Probably a big larger than the case in the video which Ed used 900 grafts. I think this guy looks way better from the side after the procedure. 

I got depressed after moving to a city I hated and screwed up with my fin. I was hoping to resolve the issue with a transplant that has grown in decently by the end of the year when I can GTFO here to somewhere I like better. 

Panine would be a bit cheaper for FUT only 5 dollars a graft. Which would be 5-6k prolly. 

The we grow hair Indy guy so looks in terms of a number of hairs and not grafts. I felt like he didn’t know what he was talking about and was just trying to sell their marketing terms.

Edited by Cyzkm

Posted (edited)

As I have read and researched a bit more there are some reasons why I am having some hesitation about a transplant in general unless my situation worsens.

1) It seems like every clinic advertises the best results and that may lead people to unrealistic expectations regarding their procedure. When researching Bloxham I found some great cases but a number which were concerning as well.

2) there are some issues with transplanted hair in terms of density and texture that I was unaware of.  A lot of results I see (that aren’t advertised) the density is nowhere close to native hair or what I have right now unless the hair was packed very densely in the corners a transplant might look worse than what I have right now if the hair just appeared thin, versus having some recession surrounded by thick hair. Also, for some people the transplanted hair grows in much frizzier than normal hair at least at first. And the scalp can appear red for close to a year sometimes. I can see why the Turkish approach attracts people because it looks better to pack the grafts more densely but obviously that can lead to issues down the road. 

Looking at non perfect results makes me think a lot of people would be better off simply getting a system since the visual impact is stronger and immediate but that is another conversation. Certainly systems have their issues as well though, for sure.

3) everyone I saw in the pre surgery pics at the local clinic had less hair than I do right now. 

I am going to continue to do some consultations and let my hair grow out over the next month or so. At the point I will probably be sure of the extent of the loss that occurred from the fin mishap. Usually I have had a longer hairstyle but I wanted to see how bad the loss was so I got a much shorter haircut than usual. With longer hair it will be easier to conceal the receded temple and in general the look is more youthful, IMO. 

Edited by Cyzkm
  • Like 1

Good research, you're already finding what I was alluding too. And yes all clinics will show off their best work. Every single Dr has less desirable results, but some more than others. 

Any Hair Transplant comes with a element of risk, even with the most elite Dr's.. 

Its good you're spending more time looking at real world patient results, they are the best way to gauge each Dr's result. 

Some recession in a hairline is expected as we get older, if you can maintain with meds then you're in a good position. As you have also noticed you're loss at present is pretty mild. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

How old are you? I think you should probably stay on meds for a while and see what happens. You have minimal hair loss right now. I personally would not go for a hair transplant if I were you.

However, if you were going to do it I don't think you'd need more than 1000 grafts. I don't have an issue with FUT, but I would probably go with FUE for such a small procedure. If you're doing minimal work then there's no reason to create a linear scar.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

7 hours ago, Cyzkm said:

How many grafts do you think would be needed to fill in the corners and look dense? More like 1600-2000

No that's way too many of you're valuable grafts potentially being used. 

I don't think it's needed, but any Dr shouldn't be using more than around 1000 at most. 

I don't know what you're particular donor area might give, but think that it could be anywhere between 5-8k you need to plan for not just now but the future too. 

Dense packing is one thing, grafts fighting for a blood supply is another. Permanent shock loss is a very real issue too. Most Dr's will not go overboard when dense packing. 

A transplant will never match natural density. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Al - formerly BeHappy said:

How old are you? I think you should probably stay on meds for a while and see what happens. You have minimal hair loss right now. I personally would not go for a hair transplant if I were you.

However, if you were going to do it I don't think you'd need more than 1000 grafts. I don't have an issue with FUT, but I would probably go with FUE for such a small procedure. If you're doing minimal work then there's no reason to create a linear scar.

Thanks for the responses. I am 27 

Posted (edited)

I have had 2 FUT and 1 FUE (all Bloxham, see review post). Thrilled with results of first procedure, early in process of HT 2/3.  While I would not rec waiting til you’re as bald as I was…… I wouldn’t rec HT at this early stage. The year-long process of recovery and growth is a pita and unless meds work amazing for you, I’d have concern about perpetually chasing your tail with more procedures.  I also would not rec FUT for such as small procedure. 

Edited by LeonBlack
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think my situation is fairly similar to this guy who go a result with 2000 grafts but he had more loss. 

Edited by Cyzkm

17 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Your young age and minimal loss mean you may be risking more than potentially gaining.

Why hairstyle would you recommend to hide the loss? 

m concern would be that I end up with a horrid result like this 

(reddit link removed)

15 hours ago, Cyzkm said:

Why hairstyle would you recommend to hide the loss? 

a traditional side part. I suppose the non-parted side may have balding visible, but I really don't think it will be conspicuous to anyone but you

15 hours ago, Cyzkm said:

m concern would be that I end up with a horrid result like this 

(reddit link removed)

the example you showed is a common result for 1 HT even if you go to a good surgeon. Most guys need 2-3 HTs over their lifetime, and that is just if they have moderate MPB AND that all those surgeries go well

I do think you are qualified to begin your hair transplant journey if you can't cope otherwise, but you really shouldnt begin this journey if you can't accept that multiple hair transplants are part of the deal

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

a traditional side part. I suppose the non-parted side may have balding visible, but I really don't think it will be conspicuous to anyone but you

the example you showed is a common result for 1 HT even if you go to a good surgeon. Most guys need 2-3 HTs over their lifetime, and that is just if they have moderate MPB AND that all those surgeries go well

I do think you are qualified to begin your hair transplant journey if you can't cope otherwise, but you really shouldnt begin this journey if you can't accept that multiple hair transplants are part of the deal

How did that guy get such a poor result when the guy in the video I posted ended up with corners that matched his real hair as far as I could tell? A better way of putting it would be, what factors determine the probability of getting a good result? Or is it because those grafts were spread over a smaller area whereas in the Reddit post the entire hairline was lowered. 

Edited by Cyzkm

54 minutes ago, Cyzkm said:

what factors determine the probability of getting a good result? Or is it because those grafts were spread over a smaller area whereas in the Reddit post the entire hairline was lowered.

The best factor in surgery success is surgeon skill level. But even then luck is a factor. Even the good surgeons have misses. 

Generally speaking, even a great surgeon cannot give 'end-satisfactory result' density just in 1 surgery

It is very common to need 2-3 surgeries to give great density

For low norwoods, I would say the density issue - followed by further hairloss - are the 2 most common reasons to need more surgery (not including getting botched, which is also sadly common and can completely your journey)

2 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

The best factor in surgery success is surgeon skill level. But even then luck is a factor. Even the good surgeons have misses. 

Generally speaking, even a great surgeon cannot give 'end-satisfactory result' density just in 1 surgery

It is very common to need 2-3 surgeries to give great density

For low norwoods, I would say the density issue - followed by further hairloss - are the 2 most common reasons to need more surgery (not including getting botched, which is also sadly common and can completely your journey)

Yea I can see why density would end up being an issue but depends on lightning. I am seeing some insane results from dr pekiner but he has a very long wait list.