Out-of-Body-Time of Grafts: Studies and Deep Dive

Hi

I want to refer to this study here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3764754/#:~:text=Thereafter%2C the time taken for,from 1 to 2 h.

Apparently there are no more recent studies about this or I just can't find it. So, if you have more recent studies about this, please post here.

Graft survival out of the body

Maybe this is a questions for doctors only? Assuming a surgery, where grafts are outside the body for 8-10 hours. As a consequence, the grafts would be irreversibly weakened, survival rate would be reduced. How would this manifest itself in the patient exactly?

Would no more hair grow from the inserted graft or would only weak, thin hair grow or would normal hair grow and then fall out again after a certain time?

As is certainly well known, most patients experience so-called shedding after approx. 2 weeks, where implanted hairs start to grow very slightly direct after the surgery and then fall out again and start growing after approx. 3 months again. Assuming that the grafts are weakened by the excessively long out-of-body-time while surgery, would the grafts then no longer be able to produce any hair at all in this first time window (before the shedding begins)?

I'm not a doctor, by my grafts were out of the body for 10+ hours. My surgery took approx. 12 hours. My survival rate was in the high 90s percentage range. The grafts are kept in a cold saline, or hypothermosol, solution throughout the surgery.

2500 FUE by Dr. Victor Hasson, June 2023

• 2 weeks later...

Time out of body is the most critical factor when it comes to graft survival rates. Temperature and hydration are also important. there are several things the doctor can do including having adequate number of staff, being present so surgical staff doesn't need to be waiting and proper sequencing of the procedure. For example, with FUE the recipient sites can be made before the extraction of the grafts so once the harvesting is performed the grafts can immediately be placed. 

In this current day, considering countless clinical advancements especially over the past decade, there really is no justification IMHO for grafts to be “out of body” for 8-10 hours.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thank you for your answers. I have read that under certain circumstances it can happen, that the patient bleeds heavily during the operation. This would lead to  the situation, that the inserted grafts being pushed out again after insertion (sorry for the unscientific description). In this case, the blood flow in the operation area would first have to be reduced by administering medication. This makes it necessary to store the harvested grafts for a few hours and not to insert them directly as planned. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2024 at 11:44 AM, Daniel2727 said:

Thank you for your answers. I have read that under certain circumstances it can happen, that the patient bleeds heavily during the operation. This would lead to  the situation, that the inserted grafts being pushed out again after insertion (sorry for the unscientific description). In this case, the blood flow in the operation area would first have to be reduced by administering medication. This makes it necessary to store the harvested grafts for a few hours and not to insert them directly as planned. 

so the long-out-of-body time is not unintentionally; I've read about this case, that the surgeon had to stop the bleeding like 2 hours and there after it was possible to insert. Before stopping the bleeding, the grafts were pushed out again.