Finasteride alternative when trying for kids

Wanderer93

Hi , myself and my partner are going to be trying for a kid in the near future and was wondering if anyone has an alternative to fin ? I have been told safest to stop 3 months prior to trying but would like to try and maintain my hair during this time. I take oral minoxidil so anything i can add whilst off the fin would be great thanks

5 hours ago, Wanderer93 said:

Hi , myself and my partner are going to be trying for a kid in the near future and was wondering if anyone has an alternative to fin ? I have been told safest to stop 3 months prior to trying but would like to try and maintain my hair during this time. I take oral minoxidil so anything i can add whilst off the fin would be great thanks

Yes, at least 3 months gap would be required. I think stopping fin won't cause much harm, if you're stopping for few months. But if you still want to take, I think you've topical options.

• Valued Contributor

Some individuals are considering using saw palmetto as a substitute for finasteride, although I am unsure about its effectiveness, so I am uncertain about how trustworthy this alternative would be. However, as recommended by @Shadman, you could try a topical form which would have less systemic effects. Alternatively, if you are cautious, you could simply stop for a while and once your wife becomes pregnant, you can resume it.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

-->ย My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Talk to a medical professional.

๐Ÿง‘๐Ÿฝโ€โš•๏ธย Help others by naming your clinic and surgeon, in your post title if possible.

๐Ÿ’Šย Help yourself by directing medical questions to medical professionals. No one here can safely provide medical advice like your primary care physician.

๐Ÿ’ฌย Help the forum byย adding a Like or other reaction to an existing comment before repeating what others have already said.

@Wanderer93

Just an FYI, I don't think it's recommended to be using topical finasteride or any topical DHT blockers when conceiving. ย This exposes your partner potentially, which would be dangerous for the fetus. ย That's why finasteride has the warning that even the tablets should not be handled or touched by pregnant woman. ย If you talk to your doctor/dermatologist they'll tell you the same. ย I would stick to stimulation therapy; if you can tolerate it without side effects perhaps try adding topical min (in addition to the oral). Microneedling could be beneficial too. ย 

33 minutes ago, OfficerWinslow said:

@Wanderer93

Just an FYI, I don't think it's recommended to be using topical finasteride or any topical DHT blockers when conceiving. ย This exposes your partner potentially, which would be dangerous for the fetus. ย That's why finasteride has the warning that even the tablets should not be handled or touched by pregnant woman. ย If you talk to your doctor/dermatologist they'll tell you the same. ย I would stick to stimulation therapy; if you can tolerate it without side effects perhaps try adding topical min (in addition to the oral). Microneedling could be beneficial too. ย 

Yeah i will be staying clear of fin for that period of time. I have microneedled in the past so will add that back in. I also use topical min in the evening and oral in the morning. Thanks for the response

@Wanderer93ย Just curious, which device do you use for microneedling and at what depth/frequency? ย And did you get results from it in the past?

Something else to keep on your radar, Latanoprost is being added to topical compounds by a few pharmacies. ย I'm not sure if it's a non-hormone treatment though, I think it's still very new to the game and not a lot of people have used it yet due to cost. ย 

Best of luck, and let us know how things go!ย 

2 hours ago, OfficerWinslow said:

@Wanderer93ย Just curious, which device do you use for microneedling and at what depth/frequency? ย And did you get results from it in the past?

Something else to keep on your radar, Latanoprost is being added to topical compounds by a few pharmacies. ย I'm not sure if it's a non-hormone treatment though, I think it's still very new to the game and not a lot of people have used it yet due to cost. ย 

Best of luck, and let us know how things go!ย 

Hi mate i used a generic pen i found on amazon . I used 1.5mm once a week and found it quite helpful i noticed some regrowth as i had started to level out on my gains from medical treatments. Nothing spectacular but i found it helped. My scalp health in general seemed to improve when doing it also . ย 

2 hours ago, OfficerWinslow said:

@Wanderer93ย Thanks for the note, I'm always curious to hear how effective it is as a lot of people claim it doesn't do anything. ย I'll report back on my results if it turns out to be effective!ย 

Best of luck. On the day i done it i applied minoxidil about 1-2 hrs prior to microneedling. I was told if applying after you can absorb to much minoxidil and side effects can be higher not sure how accurate this is .