Finasteride alternative when trying for kids

Wanderer93

Hi , myself and my partner are going to be trying for a kid in the near future and was wondering if anyone has an alternative to fin ? I have been told safest to stop 3 months prior to trying but would like to try and maintain my hair during this time. I take oral minoxidil so anything i can add whilst off the fin would be great thanks

5 hours ago, Wanderer93 said:

Hi , myself and my partner are going to be trying for a kid in the near future and was wondering if anyone has an alternative to fin ? I have been told safest to stop 3 months prior to trying but would like to try and maintain my hair during this time. I take oral minoxidil so anything i can add whilst off the fin would be great thanks

Yes, at least 3 months gap would be required. I think stopping fin won't cause much harm, if you're stopping for few months. But if you still want to take, I think you've topical options.

• Valued Contributor

Some individuals are considering using saw palmetto as a substitute for finasteride, although I am unsure about its effectiveness, so I am uncertain about how trustworthy this alternative would be. However, as recommended by @Shadman, you could try a topical form which would have less systemic effects. Alternatively, if you are cautious, you could simply stop for a while and once your wife becomes pregnant, you can resume it.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

-->ย My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Talk to a medical professional.

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.
ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย 

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000 grafts, Summer 2023

@Wanderer93

Just an FYI, I don't think it's recommended to be using topical finasteride or any topical DHT blockers when conceiving. ย This exposes your partner potentially, which would be dangerous for the fetus. ย That's why finasteride has the warning that even the tablets should not be handled or touched by pregnant woman. ย If you talk to your doctor/dermatologist they'll tell you the same. ย I would stick to stimulation therapy; if you can tolerate it without side effects perhaps try adding topical min (in addition to the oral). Microneedling could be beneficial too. ย 

33 minutes ago, OfficerWinslow said:

@Wanderer93

Just an FYI, I don't think it's recommended to be using topical finasteride or any topical DHT blockers when conceiving. ย This exposes your partner potentially, which would be dangerous for the fetus. ย That's why finasteride has the warning that even the tablets should not be handled or touched by pregnant woman. ย If you talk to your doctor/dermatologist they'll tell you the same. ย I would stick to stimulation therapy; if you can tolerate it without side effects perhaps try adding topical min (in addition to the oral). Microneedling could be beneficial too. ย 

Yeah i will be staying clear of fin for that period of time. I have microneedled in the past so will add that back in. I also use topical min in the evening and oral in the morning. Thanks for the response

@Wanderer93ย Just curious, which device do you use for microneedling and at what depth/frequency? ย And did you get results from it in the past?

Something else to keep on your radar, Latanoprost is being added to topical compounds by a few pharmacies. ย I'm not sure if it's a non-hormone treatment though, I think it's still very new to the game and not a lot of people have used it yet due to cost. ย 

Best of luck, and let us know how things go!ย 

2 hours ago, OfficerWinslow said:

@Wanderer93ย Just curious, which device do you use for microneedling and at what depth/frequency? ย And did you get results from it in the past?

Something else to keep on your radar, Latanoprost is being added to topical compounds by a few pharmacies. ย I'm not sure if it's a non-hormone treatment though, I think it's still very new to the game and not a lot of people have used it yet due to cost. ย 

Best of luck, and let us know how things go!ย 

Hi mate i used a generic pen i found on amazon . I used 1.5mm once a week and found it quite helpful i noticed some regrowth as i had started to level out on my gains from medical treatments. Nothing spectacular but i found it helped. My scalp health in general seemed to improve when doing it also . ย 

2 hours ago, OfficerWinslow said:

@Wanderer93ย Thanks for the note, I'm always curious to hear how effective it is as a lot of people claim it doesn't do anything. ย I'll report back on my results if it turns out to be effective!ย 

Best of luck. On the day i done it i applied minoxidil about 1-2 hrs prior to microneedling. I was told if applying after you can absorb to much minoxidil and side effects can be higher not sure how accurate this is .