How soon can I do SMP after FUE

Hello guys,

A month ago I did my second FUE 1700 grafts. The first one was 3 years ago around 3000 grafts. I'd like to have an SMP both on the donor and recipient, how long do I need to wait? Some doctors on Realself say a few weeks, some say a few months...

Can the SMP damage the grafts / prevent them from growing in the recipient area?

• Valued Contributor

I’ve spoken to Caitlin James about this and really you want to give the scars 12 months to heal before having ink tattooed into them. The reason being that scars will continue to heal over twelve months (and longer). You don’t want the ink to begin migrating as scar tissue changes and matures. All the best. 

• Like 1

if you are in such a rush to get SMP after your latest FUE, it sounds like your FUE did not use as many grafts as desired?

or, before surgery, was it planned by your surgeon to combine FUE + SMP?

If you can remain patient and disciplined enough, the wisest move is to wait for the FUE results to come through before acting on any SMP plans

Be sure you are aware that SMP is not without its own cons, risks, baggage, etc.

8 hours ago, Walker Paper said:

What cons, risks and baggage are you talking about?

SMP fades so you likely have to get it redone every 4-5 years. 

You also should (in theory at least) protect it from the sun just like you would any other tattoo

I dont think SMP is a dangerous procedure but its just like one more dependency, baggage item to focus on in your HT journey

The absorption of ink into scar matter can be much different than flesh tissue and the composite of scars also varies during the healing process so IMHO, it’s very important to allow adequate time for the ink to enter a stable base.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY