Oral Minoxidil vs only finasteride

Hi,

I recently had a hair transplant. Currently, I'm only using finasteride 1mg a day and some vitamins.

My doctor recommended using oral minoxidil after the hair transplant, but I'm a bit concerned. What is your take on that? Can finasteride alone be sufficient? How can I increase my blood flow during this time?

Edited by TonTon

Finasteride is for stopping or delaying significantly the balding process.

Minoxidil is mostly a smoke screen for androgenic alopecia, in the long run it won’t help.

The combination of the two is the most intensive treatment, only stronger treatment is exchange finasteride with dutasteride.

I don’t see the point starting minoxidil if you don’t have thinning areas.

Edited by Maorizio

9 minutes ago, jjalay said:

If your doctor recommended it and you dont have any other health issues taking it you can add oral minox. for the first 6 months after ht.

But I will lose every gain if I’ll stop after 6 months, no?

If you get some new growth except from the transplanted hair because of minoxidil yes. But you already take finasteride and stopping minoxidil wont affect the positives that you see on your transplanted hair because of minoxidil(like early growth for example).

12 minutes ago, TonTon said:

But I will lose every gain if I’ll stop after 6 months, no?

You’ll lose gains if you have thinning areas which minoxidil recovered.

Your doc probably want it mostly for the HT follicles, minoxidil really help them at the beginning.

Edited by Maorizio

• Valued Contributor

Finasteride will help in lowering your DHT levels in your body which is a primary cause of hairloss in most of the patient

Minoxidil will improve/increase the blood flow to the scalp and thats how it stimulates the hair follicles which will make hair strands more fuller and thicker and will result in providing better coverage...this keeps your hair in anagen(growth) phase for long.

Both the medication mentioned above complements eachother very well and that's why they are often prescribed together..everyone will not see hair growth but even if you are able to stabilise it or slow it down than its already a big win.

Discontinuing either minoxidil or finasteride significantly increases the likelihood of losing any progress achieved.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

3 hours ago, TonTon said:

Hi,

I recently had a hair transplant. Currently, I'm only using finasteride 1mg a day and some vitamins.

My doctor recommended using oral minoxidil after the hair transplant, but I'm a bit concerned. What is your take on that? Can finasteride alone be sufficient? How can I increase my blood flow during this time?

if you start oral minoxidil then you have to take it in a permanent basis, otherwise you will lose the "gains" that oral minox gave you. You could take 2.5mg oral minoxidil dosage.