Stopping minoxidil for a hair transplant - Possible loss of hair?

Hi,

I'm researching hair transplants and have been told that I would have to stop taking minoxidil 2 weeks before the surgery, and could resume taking minoxidil 3 weeks after the surgery: 5 weeks in total. 

Would I not lose some hair during that time? I've been on minoxidil for over 10 years. How quickly would I lose hair if I stopped minoxidil for 5 weeks?

Thanks for reading. :)

On 2/1/2024 at 7:31 PM, Steviewonder said:

Hi,

I'm researching hair transplants and have been told that I would have to stop taking minoxidil 2 weeks before the surgery, and could resume taking minoxidil 3 weeks after the surgery: 5 weeks in total. 

Would I not lose some hair during that time? I've been on minoxidil for over 10 years. How quickly would I lose hair if I stopped minoxidil for 5 weeks?

Stopping Minoxidil before a Hair Transplant is imperative as otherwise it does not give a true picture to the hair Transplant Surgeon on which Grafts are the best to cherry pick the one's which have a chance to be in the longest time in the Anagen Phase.

5 weeks of stopping Minoxidil should not very aggressively and acutely cause hair loss..

Has the clinic/Dr also told you to stop DHT blockers before 2 weeks of Transplant ?

I guess you don't have a choice? Do you ? From what I have read and know once a hair starts miniaturizing you still have atleast 4-6 weeks to revive it. That is the window period beyond that, it is the point of No Return.

Edited by augustya

On 2/1/2024 at 8:01 PM, Steviewonder said:

Hi,

Stopping for few weeks won't cause any harm