Cobblestoning after hair transplant - Reasons and Ways to Avoid it

Hi,

I am considering a hair transplant and have been doing some research online. However, I wanted to post here and get people's opinions and experiences. 

My main concern is cobblestoning or other skin problems that might result from a hair transplant.

I have lots of skin problems: I have vitiligo (white patches of skin with no pigment), psoriasis, and cutis verticis gyrata (caused by topical minoxidil).  These diseases are caused by an over active immune system. 

I believe cobblestoning is caused by grafts not being placed deep enough and grafts having too much skin tissue when being inserted into the scalp. 

Is there any way to minimize the chances of cobblestoning? For example, I read online that clinics should check the grafts under a microscope to check how many hairs are contained in the graft and to check how much skin tissue is on the graft. 

Also, has anyone with similar skin related problems had a hair transplant? How was your experience? 

Please feel free to reply if you have any advice, information, or experiences to share. 

Thanks. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steviewonder said:

Hi,

I am considering a hair transplant and have been doing some research online. However, I wanted to post here and get people's opinions and experiences. 

My main concern is cobblestoning or other skin problems that might result from a hair transplant.

I have lots of skin problems: I have vitiligo (white patches of skin with no pigment), psoriasis, and cutis verticis gyrata (caused by topical minoxidil).  These diseases are caused by an over active immune system. 

I believe cobblestoning is caused by grafts not being placed deep enough and grafts having too much skin tissue when being inserted into the scalp. 

Is there any way to minimize the chances of cobblestoning? For example, I read online that clinics should check the grafts under a microscope to check how many hairs are contained in the graft and to check how much skin tissue is on the graft. 

Also, has anyone with similar skin related problems had a hair transplant? How was your experience? 

Please feel free to reply if you have any advice, information, or experiences to share. 

Thanks. :)

Yes, cobblestone can happen if the grafts placement isn’t appropriate. If you select a good surgeon, slit making would be appropriate followed by placement of the grafts. For good surgeons, I’ve hardly seen any cobblestone issues. Choose a surgeon with some good research, best wishes 👍

• Like 1

• Administrators
  • Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.