topical to oral minoxidil should i completely switch? (help)

zenmu

as far as minoxidil is concerned, i’m taking:
- 2.5mg oral minoxidil once a day
- 15% topical minoxidil 2x a day on hairline
- 5% topical minoxidil 2x a day on ENTIRE scalp (including back of head)

to put this into perspective, i’m using 6 months of topical kirkland 5% foam in a little over a month. 

i want to switch simply to 5mg and forget about the topicals. but i’m scared of side effects, yet i’m already using so much topical minoxidil and some of it goes systemic so wouldnt i be okay? (i have been on topicals routine for a year and 2.5 oral minoxidil for 6 months)

wondering if this would be a good idea.

54 minutes ago, zenmu said:

as far as minoxidil is concerned, i’m taking:
- 2.5mg oral minoxidil once a day
- 15% topical minoxidil 2x a day on hairline
- 5% topical minoxidil 2x a day on ENTIRE scalp (including back of head)

to put this into perspective, i’m using 6 months of topical kirkland 5% foam in a little over a month. 

i want to switch simply to 5mg and forget about the topicals. but i’m scared of side effects, yet i’m already using so much topical minoxidil and some of it goes systemic so wouldnt i be okay? (i have been on topicals routine for a year and 2.5 oral minoxidil for 6 months)

wondering if this would be a good idea.

Did you consult any surgeons before starting this protocol ? I've never heard anyone using this much of minoxidil

16 minutes ago, Shadman said:

Did you consult any surgeons before starting this protocol ? I've never heard anyone using this much of minoxidil

no i never did, ig i never really thought of it i just started with the topical then kinda went crazy from there. simply 5mg a day would be better right?

8 minutes ago, zenmu said:

no i never did, ig i never really thought of it i just started with the topical then kinda went crazy from there. simply 5mg a day would be better right?

Yes, I'm on oral minoxidil of 2.5 mg from the last seven months. It took two weeks to get adjusted. After that no issues at all. So, you can start with 5mg but always a better idea to start any protocol under a doctor's supervision. 

• Valued Contributor

Refrain from using an excessive amount of minoxidil..its a potent drug brother. It's crucial to consult with a hair transplant surgeon to develop a proper medication regimen, taking into account potential side effects. Overdosing offers no additional benefits and may result in adverse effects. Imho you should halt usage until you've consulted with a good doctor.

I hope this helps.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

7 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

Refrain from using an excessive amount of minoxidil..its a potent drug brother. It's crucial to consult with a hair transplant surgeon to develop a proper medication regimen, taking into account potential side effects. Overdosing offers no additional benefits and may result in adverse effects. Imho you should halt usage until you've consulted with a good doctor.

I hope this helps.

i’ve already stopped all topicals so i’m now on just 2.5mg. considering going to 2.5mg two times a day though. i don’t plan on getting back on the topicals nor increasing beyond 5mg. and your advice is sound regarding a doctor, unfortunately it’s hard for me to go into a physical location to do check with a doctor. i am monitoring my own vitals though, and it is prescribed through an online pharmacy with a doctor.